Special Characters

Special Characters

Postby amitchel » Tue May 14, 2024 7:16 am

Hi Ernie,

I love the App. I have been using it for I think 10 years or more.

I have a deck that has about 6,000 items in it.

The items sometimes use special characters such as ^, @, # and ". The deck imports fine on my iPad but only some of the items import on my iPhone.

If I remove the above 4 characters from the decks, all items import fine on my phone.

Do you have any idea what is causing the issue and/or how to fix it?

Thanks
amitchel

Re: Special Characters

Postby Ernie » Thu May 16, 2024 5:52 pm

Hi,

How are you importing? If using my website, then quotes can affect how the website interprets your data. If you have problems, try changing all double-quotes to single quotes for example and see if that fixes the problem. If that fixes your problem, and you want more guidance on maybe how we can improve this, let me know.

Can you use Excel + OneDrive/Dropbox/GoogleDrive? You shouldn't run into any such double-quote issues if transferring this way.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby amitchel » Fri May 17, 2024 8:14 am

Thanks for your reply.

I use Excel plus DropBox to import.

I checked each item, and some of them had an odd number of double quotes. Those seemed to be the ones messing things up. I made it so that all items have an even number of double quotes.

On my iPhone, it now imports all of the items, but without any double quotes. I can see in the txt file on DropBox that all of the double quotes are there.

On my iPad, it imports all of the items with all of the double quotes.

Any thoughts on why the double quotes are being eliminated on my iPhone?
amitchel

Postby Ernie » Fri May 17, 2024 8:47 am

" I can see in the txt file on DropBox that all of the double quotes are there."

Are you using Excel or txt file?
Let me assume you are using text file.
In the Dropbox add deck screen, tap gear icon at top right. Notice the "Text Format". Compare your iPhone's setting with iPad settings. Are they different?

Try "Basic TSV" instead of TSV.

If using Excel, I don't know why yet. I tried a test and could not duplicate.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby amitchel » Fri May 17, 2024 9:29 am

Thank you!!

The DropBox Option on my iPad was using Basic TSV and on my iPhone it was using TSV.

I switched my iPhone to Basic TSV and it now works perfectly.

(My process of getting the data from Excel to the App is a bit convoluted. I have an Excel macro that exports various ranges to txt files and then I have a Python script that checks for certain things and modifies certain things, and then saves the txt file to DropBox.)
amitchel

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback