option to arrange the cards

option to arrange the cards

Postby doctorsdoctor » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:23 am

An option to arrange the cards alphabetically would be great.

Also a global option for sound tts setting for all cards would save me time and effort.

Thanks.
doctorsdoctor

Re: option to arrange the cards

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:55 am

Hi doctorsdoctor,

ordering cards for viewing can be done in list settings (right down corner), list, side-1.
For learning order goto deck options (right upper corner), card order.

To get TTS for all cards of a deck goto deck options (right upper corner), Sound, ...

To save more time ... there is an in-app-help.
Katja from Hamburg

Postby doctorsdoctor » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:42 pm

What i meant is for all decks i want global tts
doctorsdoctor

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:58 pm

That feature would loose too many nice settings and normally it is an one-time action.
Currently you can choose for any deck the language for each text or none.
How should the app know that my deck 1 is english german and deck 2 is dansk german but slower?

If you have a big number of decks perhaps you should copy them together (see list screen, mode) and devide them afterwards (if needed).

For ios: To get all decks and cards immediately with spoken text, switch Siri on.
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Ernie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 am

doctorsdoctor,

An option to arrange the cards alphabetically would be great.

This is only support in the card listing screen (which is on by default), not the study screen. If you want to study alphabetically, you'll need to create your list in that order.

Also a global option for sound tts setting for all cards would save me time and effort.

As Katja mentioned, a global setting is tricky as for many users, not all decks would get the same TTS settings. I currently don't have a default TTS setting for new decks, nor a good idea how to solve this, but I'll keep it in mind.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Volker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi,

from my perspective it would be also a good idea to have in-app sorting of cards. Ok, you can sort the cards externally before uploading the deck but this can be a workaround only if it is the (ascending/descending) sequence itself of something you want to learn. And if there is even more than one sequence dimension you want to study (e.g. depending on the content of different text fields) the more the in-app sorting of cards for studying would be helpful. 

One example is to study the absolute ordering numbers of chemical elements from 1 to xx in sequence (1st dimension). Or sequently by their periods - independently for each group of the periodic system of elements (2nd dimension). Or by their groups for each period (3rd dimension). Or by their symbol (4th dimension).

Another use case is to study the sequence of for example the presidents of the US from the first to the current and vice versa.

I am aware of the fact that you need to determine AND remember the current card sequence (incl. asc/desc) if option "card order" is set to "order" for a specific text field until it is changed. But maybe you can put it on the wish list for a future version of FCD.

Best regards
Volker
Volker

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi Volker,
maybe you find the text below interesting. There is also a comment about learning of stuff in an ordered way.
I know it does not solve your request but for learning ordered information it sounds like a very good setup.
Using that you have to proof that you know the order even when it starts asking in the middle.
http://flashcardsdeluxe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2307
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Volker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Katja,

the post you mentioned is very good. I will try some of the described methods. Thank you!

Nevertheless Ernie can put the sorting functionality on his long-term list...

Best regards
Volker
Volker

Postby Ernie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Katja,
It's funny you mentioned that post because I think it started with a SPAM post. I just deleted the URL links they were advertising.

Volker,
I don't think I'll ever add a feature to remember more than a single order. This would be difficult to program for something only a couple people would use. The workaround would be to create different decks, I would think.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Volker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi Ernie,

maybe as a compromise at least reverse ordering of the cards would be possible without too much effort ;-)

This would allow forward and backwards learning of presorted card sequenes. With this you "only" need to access card number "total - current + 1" instead of card number "current".

best regards
Volker
Volker

Postby plotinus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 am

Hi
I would like to ask again for card order issues, and so I found this thread. My students learn words in the order of appearance in the text they read (not alphabetically). If I want to display or learn the cards of a stack in a specific order, I must order these cards manually before uploading them. If I afterwards update some cards of a stack I share with my students, the updated cards will be rearranged to another place.
Is there a way to order cards in shared stacks and keeping this order for updating purposes?
I suppose, I could do this with an additional stack category only for that (and a lot of work on every single card), but I hoped that I could arrange them just by drag and drop on my mobile device. Any ideas?
plotinus

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi plotinus,

I don't really understand. When you create your list, each card is in "order". To study cards in this original order, set "card order" to "ordered" in deck options. The card listing screen will default to alphabetized order, but you can show the list in raw order by tapping "List" (bottom left), then "Card Order". Once cards are shown in "card order", you can re-order them in this screen. Tap "Edit" then reorder. iOS: drag bars along right up/down. Android: tap "Reorder" at bottom. Maybe you were looking for something like this feature.

You mention updating. Do you add new cards on your device or on PC? If on PC, you can easily put cards in any order, and when a student updates, they should see the new order. If you are adding cards directly in the app, then the re-order feature in the card listing screen is probably what you are looking for.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby plotinus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:21 am

Ernie wrote:…you can re-order them in this screen. Tap "Edit" then reorder. iOS: drag bars along right up/down. Android: tap "Reorder" at bottom. Maybe you were looking for something like this feature.

Thank you, this reordering function was exactly what I was searching for!

But doing reordering in the midst of a large list strange things happen on my tablet (iOS 8.1, iPad 3):
The ordering bars (three lines) first just don't appear (sic!). Scrolling up and down finally shows them, and I can reorder.
Items already reordered get back in previous order, when they are scrolled out of the screen.
Previous order is restored, too, after using the search (top of screen) or after correcting a single card (using long tap).

I guess, this is buggy, and I hope you'll understand my description.
plotinus

Postby Ernie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:54 am

Whoa, I just had a strange thing happen on the iPad. You are correct that is seems like you can reorder without the bars along the right. Must be some iOS 8 change.

Here's the secret I think you are looking for: Before trying to reorder, tap "List" at bottom left and change order by to "Card Order". (There's an option to "remember order by" if you want it.) Then tap "Edit" and you'll see the reorder bars. Reordering is only designed to work when cards are shown "ordered".
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby plotinus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks for support and the hint to the secret. My previous description wasnt already complete, as I realize now: The strange restoring of previous order by scrolling happens with "group by category" set on. I order my hundreds of cards by my category "lesson" and I would like to reorder it supported by the view of these lessons. Is it not possible to reorder using "group by category" set on?
For illustration I'll send you a video by email.
plotinus

Postby Ernie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for the extra bit of info. Reordering is also not intended to work when grouping by category, or when filtering. I'll look into this, but my guess is that I won't support this.

(If you need to reorder, you have the option to export to PC/Mac and reorder there.)
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:55 pm

In my list order, I prefer Side 1 always be on the left side, but FlashCards keeps switching to Side 2 on the left side. I’m always having to change it back. Is there anyway I can make it default to Side 1 on the left and have it stay that way?

Postby Ernie » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:14 am

The side shown in the first column is what was showing in the study screen when you went to the card listing screen.

If you always want side 1 shown first, in the card listing, tap "List" at bottom, then "Remember Order By". Maybe that will solve your problem.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback