Multiple Choice Updates

Multiple Choice Updates

Postby Ernie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:03 am

I've started working on some multiple choice updates. Originally I wasn't too interested in this (for my own studies), but Kraemder and Katja gave me some great ideas to inspire me.

Kraemder: Add a timer and turn it into more of a game (with score). While I'm not sure on any game-like mechanics yet, so far this has inspired me to add a countdown timer bar and think in terms of speed training (which I hadn't done much of before).

Katja: Hide answers initially. Wow, what a brilliant idea. I've never liked multiple choice because it feels like easy mode, but what if you hide the answers to actually force your brain to work and think about the answer before you scan for the correct one. I like it. I think this just opened up another study option for me.

I will be adding new settings for multiple choice to allow for new behavior. For my Chinese studies, I've noticed that I want different settings depending on whether the question is Chinese or English. The settings below allow or easy swapping between Side 1->2 and Side 2->1 while giving me the behavior I want.

DESIRED BEHAVIOR for my studies:

Chinese -> English

Hide QUESTION and answers, play Chinese sound (listening practice)
Wait until Chinese sounds PLAYS + delay 1 more second (to think), then shown question/answers
2 second timer to answer (wrong when time up)
Don't play correct answer (in English)

English -> Chinese

Hide answer, show English question immediately
Wait 1 second (to think), then show answers
2 second timer to answer (wrong when time up)
Play correct answer (in Chinese)

SETTINGS

Code: Select all
  Hide Answers         0-10 seconds   * 2 seconds                (if hidden, you can tap screen to show early)

Sounds
  Play Question        Auto * / Side 1 Only / Side 2 Only        (Auto: use current sound auto-play setting)
  Play Answer          Off / Auto / Side 1 Only * / Side 2 Only
  Wait for Question    Off / Side 1 Only * / Side 2 Only         (don't start timer until question plays)

Hide Question        No / Side 1 Only * / Side 2 Only          (Only if sound playing ; question then shown with answers)

* designates MY setting choices, assuming
Chinese = Side 1
English = Side 2

I'm sure some of this will get refined as I play with it more.

If you have any suggestions on anything related to multiple choice, feel free to comment on this thread.

Another feature request that I've gotten a few times is to make it easier to view notes, side 3, etc. (whether before answering or after a correct answer). I need to give this more thought as I don't have a clear idea how best to do this.
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Choice Updates

Postby Ernie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:54 pm

BTW, these proposed settings are already out of date. I'll post my new thoughts in the coming days.
(The general ideas are still valid though.)
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 am

I appreciate the fact that you are trying to refine the MC system. For my part, I am not learning a language, and so my needs are slightly different from the ones commonly expressed in the threads... I am looking to use the MC as a teaching tool for medical students, to help them prep for major exams.

What I would really like to see would be a MC card system whereby there are are 4 brief, customized potential answers on the front (as is currently available), but when you choose an answer (either right of wrong) it simply flips the card to reveal the correct response - but with more extensive details. The fact that the current MC system either shows red (for incorrect) or shows green and moves forward to the next card is problematic, as I cannot work out how to add the additional, expanded explanations necessary for the students.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

James.

Postby Ernie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi James. Thank you very much for your feedback. I think this is something I want to tackle. I might like to add an option so that after you answer it changes to a normal flashcard. In your case, it seems you want to show something more than the answer (side 2), so I'm thinking it might be Side 3 you'd want to show, or show "notes". I need to play around with this, but I'll try to come up with some improvement on this.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:53 pm

James or anyone else,
With regards to showing more info after a multiple choice option has been selected, where does it come from?
The only thing I can think of is that it would come from side 3+ or notes. Currently there is no option to show notes on a flashcard (it's shown in a "popup" window), and not sure if that's a feature that would be useful. Would the app have a setting that says to show a normal flashcard after an answer and jump to side 3?
I just don't know what would me sense for most people to easily take advantage of such a feature.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Above I talked about being able to hide the question and answer. Hiding the question is for listening practice (delay showing question until after sound plays). Hiding the answers is for multiple choice. I've put all this into the "Timers" area:

Timers

Alarm Timer (this concept already exists in current app; I'll add some new settings)
Hide Question Timer
Hide MC Answer Timer

Wait for Sound to Play (option to delay all timers until sound plays)

Multiple choice and timers are now put on hold for maybe 1-2 weeks.
With iOS 7 coming out seemingly soon, I need to make sure my app is ready... and it's not quite yet.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:05 am

Hi Ernie,
short reply to
With regards to showing more info after a multiple choice option has been selected, where does it come from?
The only thing I can think of is that it would come from side 3+ or notes. Currently there is no option to show notes on a flashcard (it's shown in a "popup" window), and not sure if that's a feature that would be useful. Would the app have a setting that says to show a normal flashcard after an answer and jump to side 3?

... as question is on side-1 and answer is on side-2 I need an own layout for MC anyhow (to avoid to have already answer visible or answer is too long). So side-3 could cover content and layout for "full answer view" e.g. question plus answer plus further details.
I would prefer to have no settings as full view would not needed every time (and it is independend whether I know answer correct or wrong). Will it be possible to get "full answer view" by long tab the question? That would be same behaviour as in the list screen (long tab on a card).
Katja from Hamburg

Postby KentFaust » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:52 pm

If you are trying to create a flashcard where you want it to be multiple choice with the contingency "Choose all that apply", is there a method to achieve that? It seems like when multiple choice is chosen and you want three correct choices and two wrong there is no technique to accomplish it. Can anyone help.

Thanks.
KentFaust

Postby Ernie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:02 pm

Kent,

There is no built in support for "all". You can create multiple choice with specific wrong answers for each cards, and one of the options could be "all". For example:

Text 1 | Text 2 | Wrong Answer 1 | Wrong Answer 2 | Wrong Answer 3
A car can be ____ | D) all of the above | A) Fast | B) Useful | C) Expensive

The app doesn't know about "all", but if you want "d" to be the correct answer, then that option goes in the "Text 2" column (which is generally the answer).

In the in-app help, I'd recommend searching for "multiple choice" and reading about the related options if you need more guidance with this, or ask here.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby KentFaust » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:44 pm

So what you are trying to say in as kind of a way as you can is "no".

I think your app is great but I am trying to use it to simulate many tests where demonstrating your knowledge of the subject is being able to discern more than one right answer out of multiple choices and "all of the above" is not testing your knowledge of the subject the same way.

I have been reading the thread on this subject and believe other users would find this feature useful too. Even if it was just in the narrow application of what your app does to help learn another language (which in itself makes the app valuable). For example: Which of the following are verbs? Pick any language and list two verbs, one noun, and a pronoun.

But in my case I use it to write questions for IT related tests and the kind of test question where there is more than one correct answer and you have to "pick all that are correct" and "all of the above" happen all of the time.

I hope in a later release you might consider adding the feature and have no idea what that would take to accomplish but I might add for myself at least I would pay for the enhancement and definitely use to too.

Thanks
KentFaust

Postby Ernie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 am

I see. I didn't read your question quite right. I don't have any plans right now to allow for picking multiple correct answers. Sorry about that. It's something I can consider later.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 am

Hi, I just passed a multiple choice test where 1 out of 4 answers where correct. They used a kind of trick to combine answers which may work for you as well.

Text 1)
a) a car can be fast
b) a car can be useful
c) a car can be expensive

Text 2) correct is a and b and c
wrong 1) correct is a and b
wrong 2) correct is a and c
wrong 3) correct is none of that statements
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:33 pm

3.6 is available. that was really quick.
I already added status line - nice (or bad) to see the clock ;-)
Thanks for improving MultiChoice by having timer.
What's next? "only" IOS7?
regards, Katja
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Ernie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:40 am

Hey Katja,

Yeah, Apple approved it very quickly. I assume they are trying to get all the apps approved for iOS 7 release this Wednesday.
Thanks for all your help!

The iOS 7 work should be all done and is included in 3.6. I spent a lot of time updating my app's UI for iOS 7. I'm looking forward to iOS 7 being released soon (for download on my main phone) because I think the OS looks great and I like the look of my app(s) better on iOS 7.

As for what's next, I'm currently working on adding a colorful bar graph for a progress report to 1) add some extra bling and 2) encourage users with easier to follow progress. I'm going to see how I like it and go from there. I'm going to be tied up for a few weeks with other responsibilities, so I'll spend more time better planning my next moves after that.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby angeltech » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:25 am

Hello Ernie. I bought your Flashcard app on android an its very good, is not very intuitive but im getting use to it. Im a CNS student (Computer Network and Security) and all the certification test that I need to take all of them are multiple choice. Im trying for now to set in the first face the question and the multiple choices and in the second face of the card the answer and a brief explanation. But I haven't succes yet. I try already the video where you explain how to use the text editor and the in app introduction but still, I can't figure out how to do that. Let me give you the first multiple choice im trying to create.

Side 1
Which of the following are components you might find inside a PC? (Select all correct answers)
A. CPU
B. Motherboard
C. Keyboard
D. Printer
E. RAM
F. Cable modem

Side 2
A, B and E
Common components inside a PC include the CPU,
motherboard, and RAM, along with the power supply, adapter cards, and hard
drives. Keyboards (and mice) are input devices that are located outside the PC.
Printers (and displays) are output devices that are located outside the PC. A cable
modem is an Internet communication device that is outside of the PC

This is the way I want to see the flashcard. What I need to do make the flashcard like this? Any help I'll appreciate.
angeltech

Postby Ernie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 am

Hi Angeltech,

First off, I seems like you don't need my multiple choice feature for what you want to do. You can just make standard two sided cards.

The complication is that you want to include new lines in your cards. You can do this by using the pipe character |, which will create a new line. So one option is to create your cards like:

card 1|side 1<tab>card 1|side 2
card 2|side 1<tab>card 2|side 2

I would instead recommend using Excel. Enter your full question in cell A1 and enter you full answer in cell B1. Continue for row 2. You can use my website and copy-paste. (If you use double-quotes, just make sure you use always use an even number of them on a side.)

On my website orangeorapple.com, I have the section "creating your own decks" which should have some useful info. If you have more questions or need more asssistance, let me know. You can email me at et@orangeorapple, or if you post a reply to this, please create a new topic if you don't mind, as this doesn't really relate to "multiple choice updates".

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby arondddd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:09 am

Hi Ernie,

Dig the app. Use it all the time. One thing: Is it possible to insert a picture immediately after the correct answer is chosen so than an idea can be reinforced? Example:

Penguins love ~ water.

a.) muddy
b.) warm
c.) icy
d.) salty
e.) boiling

When (c.) is selected, a pic of a penguin diving in water is then displayed. Is this possible? I know how to add pics, but is there a way to make the 'reward' option work? Thanks in advance.
arondddd

Postby Ernie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 am

I have a setting called "Show Detail After". If On, this will show side 3 after an answer. You can put whatever you want on side 3, such as a picture.
The issue in your case is that this option is triggered either after a "wrong" answer, or a "correct or wrong" answer. I don't have an option for "correct" only answer. So if you set this setting to "correct or wrong", then side 3 is show after any answer.

Example text:

Code: Select all
Text 1                         Text 2     Picture 3          Wrong Answer 1     Wrong Answer 2       Wrong Answer 3     Wrong Answer 4
Penguins love ~ water.       c.) icy     Penguin.png          a.) muddy            b.) warm            d.) salty              e.) boiling

Settings:

Show Detail After: Correct/Wrong
Order Custom Answers: On
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby arondddd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:25 am

Good enough. It would be *super* cool to include this feature in an update. (Fat chance, I reckon.) Thanks again.
arondddd

Postby kraemder » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:00 am

This is slightly off topic but not too much. I'd like it if the Spelling mode had an option to show detail so I could show a side 2 and stick lots of info on there like kanji and a picture maybe or an example sentence.
kraemder

Postby Ernie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:52 am

arondddd, I'll consider an extra "correct" only option. I'll give it a 50% chance in the next couple updates.

kraemder, I'll add this to my list. This will require a bit of programming so not sure on the priority level of this yet, but let me think about out.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby arondddd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 am

Just so you know, I sing the praises of this app to anyone who will listen. I'm trying to get my school interested in the hope that they will start using it on tablets in classrooms because it has a sh*t ton of learning potential. I demo'd my newly polished multiple-choice deck for the boss at a meeting just today. We'll see... ^__^
arondddd

Postby kraemder » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 pm

I do the same. I got one person in my Japanese class to use it but that was it though. Everyone else either doesn't have an interest in SRS or uses anki. /sigh. I still recommend it whenever I can though.
kraemder

Postby Ernie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:31 am

Thanks kraemder and arondddd. I really do appreciate the support!!
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby arondddd » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:21 am

Hey again,

Any chance that the 'show detail after' feature will come to spelling mode any time soon? I'd be willing to pay (pay!) for it. $_$

Aaron
arondddd

Next

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback