Strange bug: cards are displayed blank

Strange bug: cards are displayed blank

Postby undersound » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:27 am

I am working with this app now since many years.
Just today I imported new Excel files to start a new module.
I experience a strange behaviour, that never occured to me before: some of the cards are just displayed as "blank".
The card was imported properly, when editing I can see all the text - but the learning mode does show nothing.
ImageImage
https://ibb.co/8x1TXcf
https://ibb.co/z8K7DGQ

Any idea?
undersound

Re: Strange bug: cards are displayed blank

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 am

Only some cards? If you import and older flashcard text file, do you get same behavior?

I just released an app update. It's possible there is some bug in the new version with new iOS, but I haven't heard from anyone else yet.

Did you import from Excel/Google Sheet? It's possible that there is some text color formatting that is being entered. In the card detail screen, tap on of the text items to view in text editor and see if there is any HTML added which might affect the text color.

If you want, you can email me your Excel file if you think that could help.

You can also try changing the "Card Theme" to a white background to see if any difference, but I think unlikely to help.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby undersound » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:43 am

Hi Ernie,
thanks for your reply!
I just noticed, that my post was lacking some essential information right after I sent it, sorry!

However, when I opened the app just now it looks like I got an update and the previously empty cards are now showing correct as far as I can tell.

If it's for interest for you, I am on a Android 10 phone (Huawei P30 Pro) and the cards did show just perfect on my iPad (did not import them on the iPad, but synced the database).
I had the feeling it could have been because of two to three reasons:
- multiple paragraphs on the card site with empty lines in between
- bulletlists with one listpoint breaking over several lines
- longer content in general

However, as said: it seems like the bug as fixed with the latest update, so thanks a lot!
undersound

Postby undersound » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:07 am

Hey Ernie,
I found a way to reproduce the bug:

Huawei P30 Pro, Android 10

If you open the app from the sidebar drawer, it will open as "mini app" that you can move around the screen, resize etc.
Now clicking on the button to expand the app to fullscreen.
After that, some cards are not showing the back (maybe due to long content).

If the app is opened regulary via the app drawer, the back is displayed as it should.

Maybe that helps...

Best,
Thomas
undersound

Postby Ernie » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Hi Thomas,

I wasn't able to reproduce. If I open in windowed mode, the text doesn't seem to position itself and size correctly, but it was working otherwise. I then maximized the window and the app restarted from the main Decks screen. I didn't notice any issue with text being displayed before or after changing window size.

I don't think this is anything I'll be able to fix at this time, as I don't know why it's happening. If it only happens when the app is started in windowed mode, then at least you can work around this, I assume. I haven't heard of this problem before.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby undersound » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:37 am

Hey Ernie,

thanks for comming back. Ok, if you can't reproduce it like that, it might be something rare.
As you said, it's possible to workaround.

Thanks and have a ncie day.
undersound

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback