Global Search in Flashcards Deluxe

Global Search in Flashcards Deluxe

Postby Helge » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:51 am

Hi,

when you have written a lot of decks of flashcards you also have a great knowledge base. To search for keywords in this great resource it would be great to have a global search across all decks, accessible via an search icon on the start screen of Flashcards Deluxe. This would add another valuable functionality to this already amazing piece of software.

Thank you,
Helge

!!
Helge

Re: Global Search in Flashcards Deluxe

Postby Ernie » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 am

Hi Helge,

The way to search across multiple decks for is to create a "combination deck". Tap + (add deck), Combination Deck, name, and create. Then include all the decks you want to be able to search. You can then open this combo deck up and search that. Tapping on a card in the card listing should show you the deck that it's in.

To later add/remove a deck from the combination deck, tap "Edit" at main Decks screen, tap combination deck, and here you can add/remove.

Adding an easier way to do this is on my to-do list, but the current solution should work well enough.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Helge » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks a lot for this very helpful information, Ernie! Very much appreciated! I tested it and it works like you described it.

Nevertheless it would of course be a great enhancement to have a search button like I have described it. I'm sure it would be very much appreciated by many users of Flashcards Deluxe. Many years back during my law studies I used a wonderful flashcards software on my Palm OS in which I had thousands of self-written flashcards. It had such easy and fast to access search functionality and it was a great way to look up definitions and other information by just typing in a short string (e.g. section number of a law) and getting the all cards containing this string within a second.

Helge

!!
Helge

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:16 am

This feature would be super useful to me as well. Can't wait for it to be implemented one day. Will use the other method for now.

Ernie, thanks for creating this app. It has been very useful in my studying life!!!

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback