survey to all User: I use FCD for ...

Re: survey to all User: I use FCD for ...

Postby tiktaaliks » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:01 am

Scrabble!
tiktaaliks

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:03 am

I'm using it to create flashcards for all of my son's subjects in 10th grade, chapter-wise for each subject (we are in India). There are a total of 10 subjects and his final exams will cover the entire year's material so I'm hoping that using flashcards with spaced repetition will help make more efficient use of his studytime. But there will be a lot of cards, 10000 atleast. (!!)

Postby wilsoncd35 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:30 am

Studying for a software certification exam. In the future, learning French.

Charlie
wilsoncd35

Postby Rainer-H » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:35 am

Oxford wrote:Japanese

As well as the major advantage of having 5 possible cards, I think where FCD wins over similar programs, is that Ernie truly understands the balance between functionality and simplicity. I think he handles requests for functionality in a balanced way whereas similar systems have just tried to cram everything in. So we have a very functional, intuitive, smooth, solid program; and I am an evangelist for FCD when I talk to other Japanese Learners.

As far as Japanese Study goes, Anki, somewhat stole a march on FCD at the start of the SRS boom, so there are historically more ready made decks available to Anki than to FCD. However Anki has always been glitchy and I find FCD is a much superior program in all respects.

If FCD doesn't have as wide a user base as it deserves, for Japanese at least, I think that is not to do with the program, but with external influences such as ready-made decks, complimentary desktop programs etc.
Flashcardexchange, is the largest repository, but the Decks are often of poor quality, and there are limitations dependent on cost etc. as there are on Quizlet too.

What I think would grow the program more would be a dedicated Flashcard Repository for FCD that can handle 5 sides, without the limitations of the other systems.
Or a growth of the community by collaborative groups through shared Google Docs, with Images/Sounds hosted on Mediafire etc.

I am going off topic now - but to make amends - I will share my own 'FCD'd version of the massive Japanese Core Sentences.

(3318 cards 4 Sides + Audio)
if you want the sounds too, I suggest you store them in a Dropbox (it's free) as Ernie recommends .
To use the sounds download the zipped folder at the above Media fire address, then delete the Underscore so that there is a space before the word media, and put it in your dropbox folder along with the text file.
Sounds are about 185mb, so if you don't want all those sounds, you can just download the text file and delete the column that references the mp3 files.

A final note, as long as I have been using FCD, I have lurked on the forums and been impressed with how swiftly and completely Ernie responds to questions.

I love the 5 pages as well. :-)
First is Kanji, second reading, thirs translation, forth an example sentence in japanese and the fifth page the translation of that example sentence. In addition there are some
media files for reading the sentence and displaying the stroke order.
Meanwhile there are about 8000 ready prepared cards, I believe in high quality, but I am a little bit confused about the copyrights. Spoken text is taken from audio books. That are only fragements of these books, you cannot reconstruct the books. The same is true for the written text. Translations mostly come from wadoku, stroke order from Ulrich Apels Kanji project, the kanji itself either from EStroke or in the case of a very special chinese stroke order (for instance in 所 the direction of the very first stroke is opposite in japanese [left to right] and chinese [right to left]) from one Adobe Illustrator font. It's a mixture of copyright protected material. The combination should be enough to declare it as own work, of course pointing to the sources used. But can you rely on that assumption?
Sharing would be very reasonable, because one card requires about 10 minutes to create. But the risk to be illegal ...

!!
Rainer-H

Postby Adem » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:05 am

I use it for my Taxi licence. It's really nice to have this App. It's the best on the market. ?
Adem

Postby Wjbudd » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:26 pm

I use FCD because I needed a stand alone ipad app that provides spaced repetition for learning foreign language vocabulary, and after looking into the alternatives, I found that FCD is clearly and without a doubt the very best choice! Now that I've used the program, I am amazed at how easy and intuitive the program is. I feel very lucky to have found this app. It does exactly what I need, the instructions at the web site are easy to understand, and I couldn't be more pleased!!
Wjbudd

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:53 am

Knowledge of London test

not me ... but http://flashcardsdeluxe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3181
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Stuness » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:04 am

Hi all. I love this program, and have had it for a couple years, but am recently getting to know it better. I use it mainly for scripture memorization, as I like to memorize books of the New Testament as I dig into them and study them. It sure beats carrying around a bunch of index cards with me everywhere I go!
Stuness

Postby Badster » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:08 am

I use the app for my work studies. We have many manuals that we need to have a broad understanding off as well as precise facts and figures that we need to be able to recall without reference.

I use multiple choice the majority of the time and then keep extra info on side 3 if I get the question wrong.

The app has truly transformed my ability to focus on studying, particularly as it is so portable.
Badster

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:05 pm

dawangumu wrote:I use it for:
* recognizing bird sounds - sound on 1 side - picture and audio explanation on the following side
* recognizing trees, plants and butterflies - picture on side 1, name on side 2, explantion, stories and details on the following sites
* studying history and nature facts - question on side 1 - answer and so on on following sides
it is a GREAT app!!

I also use it for plants and trees. Great idea also to use it for bird sounds, have not thought of that. Thanks for that idea.

Postby Taz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:15 am

using it for Cisco CCIE exam flashcards. The amount of facts and figures to remember is incredible
Taz

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 am

… learning Yoga poses and sanskrit names, together with pictures and descriptions how to come in and out of the pose. Since I managed to set up the sheet in numbers, so that the app recognizes the exported file, everything is fine and helps to make a real learning progress - a wonderful app!!

Postby limpack » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:57 am

For learning computer programming / development. Like java, delphi, c#, etc..
And therefore I HATE that there is no option to turn off HTML interpretation in my cards.
You know, not only HTML as a language uses the < and > symbols. So when my answer to a question ist something like

class Box<T> {}

then it shows this:

class Box {}

Ernie says you could alternatively use &lt for < and &gt for > but this makes the cards incompatible (or at least ugly) for other apps and looks awful when making them on Cram or elsewhere. Not to mention that you can't download any cards someone else made. And I really don't see why there should not be an option to turn off HTML. It looks to me like it is the work of one day max.

If I had known this before, I wouldn't have given a 5 star review and probably I wouldn't even have bought the app.
This is a major let down!!
:evil:
limpack

Postby ykzir » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I also use it for memorizing martial art movement lol
ykzir

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:38 pm

limpack wrote:For learning computer programming / development. Like java, delphi, c#, etc..
And therefore I HATE that there is no option to turn off HTML interpretation in my cards.
You know, not only HTML as a language uses the < and > symbols. So when my answer to a question ist something like

class Box<T> {}

then it shows this:

class Box {}

I am happy with HTML, but of course I am able to understand your issue. Maybe (I didn't try) you might use the <pre></pre> tags. Of course it's HTML again, but on the other side this would provide you a possibility to switch on and off according to your need. Having HTML still might be helpful for you, for instance t label some essential entries bold or red or whatever.
!!

Postby arceye » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi,

I am studying an Engineering qualification in welding fabrication to support my artistic practice.
The reason FCD is so important to me is that it is a distance learning program, so most of the study time is spent by myself.
The course then runs practical weeks where all the practical is done in one go, but it may be some time since the relevant theory work has been completed.
I am a kinaesthetic learner - I can't read and remember things, unless i get to put them into practice at the same time.
The only way i can get round this is by repetitive flashcard use, which works.

I much prefer using FCD than other softwares, even though i use others to create the flashcards (Cram, then Quizlet when Cram stopped interfacing). I honestly can't remember why - it's been over 3 years since i started now! :roll:

Philip Melling - Metal Artist & Fabricator
arceye

Postby Bigs » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:17 am

I use it to learn Malay on my phone, but the inability to sync it with my PC means I am still looking for an alternative....?
Bigs

Postby Awfki » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:08 pm

... studying for certification exams.

I'm also hoping to use it to learn Korean.
Awfki

Postby toke » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:33 pm

I am currently using FCD to memorize keyboard shortcuts for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator (two graphic design software programs). Between those two programs, there are hundreds of keyboard shortcuts to memorize. I have been using FCD for two months now and i am pleased with the progress
toke

Postby lalibrew » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Using them to study for SAT!!
Love them
lalibrew

Postby locke » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:38 am

I use this app to help train my translation skills since, you know, the more you remember of a language and its translation, the better your translation skills will be.

I've been using flashcard app to practice for almost 4 years, but I just discovered this love app a few days ago. Before that I've used anymemo for a very long time. I really love the spaced repetition mode 'cause I've had a lot of bilingual text to memorize, and I have to memorize it as deeply as I can so as to freely switch between the two languages, and spaced repetition really helps me.

I've decided to transfer all the previous bilingual texts from other apps to FCD, including a whole bunch of bilingual subtitles for TV Shows, movies, and documentaries.

Really having great fun with it now!
locke

Postby momix » Thu May 04, 2017 5:52 am

Hi there,

I´m working with FCD since three months now and I have to say that I really, really like! I use it for portugese vocabulary and the app really pushes me every day! You really get nervous once the learning mode reminds you of new work to finish. :roll:
Really welldone, absolutely stable and fun to work with. Especially the synch function allows me to use different devices with the same data sets.
momix

Postby NightFlyer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Katja from Hamburg wrote:I use FCD to learn SquareDance definitions. Whereas Mainstream, Plus and Advance is not much to learn, with Challenge you need to keep a lot of details and remember them also after long time not dancing it.

I've used FCD for years for Square Dance definitions. I used to dance C4, and it was very helpful to keep all those definitions in my head!
NightFlyer

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:23 pm

Just started using this app few days before, recommended buy a friend in my Chinese learning university, using it to learn Chinese!!

Postby Student Pilot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:48 am

Learning to fly! There are round about 1000 multiple choice questions to prepare for the exam. The official training portal lacks speed, flexibility and offline capability. Well done, Ernie!!
Student Pilot

PreviousNext

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback