BUG: Google docs "Loading..." for ImportRange function

BUG: Google docs "Loading..." for ImportRange function

Postby zed » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:16 am

Hi again,

I use the ImportRange() function in google docs to import certain cells from a larger spreadsheet into a new spreadsheet designed specifically for the import format of flashcards deluxe. The spreadsheet that I import into flashcards deluxe is 200 rows high by 5 columns wide. What happens is that the spreadsheet imports but the first card has the word "Loading..." and the rest of the cards have a "-" character. The only way to get it to download properly is if I log into google docs and view the spreadsheet containing the ImportRange() function. When I do this in google docs I initially see the first cell with the word "Loading..." and the other cells all have a dash, but if I wait a few seconds it updates and I see the values. So in google docs it takes a couple of seconds before you see the real values of the cells. It looks like google have a problem with their API for whatever function you're using to retrieve the spreadsheet (it is not waiting for the retrieval of cell content before passing the answer on to flashcards deluxe), but maybe a workaround could be to just sleep a couple of seconds before actually retrieving the data.

Zed
zed

Re: BUG: Google docs "Loading..." for ImportRange function

Postby Ernie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks for letting me know about this. I don't know of anything I can do on my end, and believe it's just a limitation of their API. I assume downloading a second time from the app doesn't help. I think you'll just have to continue to do your workaround.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby zed » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Downloading a second time unfortunately doesn't help, I've tried downloading 5 times and it didn't help. I don't suppose you could file a bug with google, or let me know what function you're using and I'll file one with them.
zed

Postby Ernie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 pm

The Objective-C call would be
GDataServiceGoogleSpreadsheet requestForURL

I don't plan on looking into this further at the moment. Sorry.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback