Flipping Individual Flashcards

Flipping Individual Flashcards

Postby DavidJones » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Hey,

I don't know if I can recommend new features for future updates here or not but one that I would love to have would be one where I could flip individual flashcards. You know how when you click on the bottom of the screen when studying you can exclude, set flag and edit card, in that menu you should add a "flip card" option so you could study side 1 with and exception of a few cards you choose. This would help me soooo much and I know others would love it too. If you could add that it would be great because currently that missing feature is the only reason I use paper flashcards sometimes.

Thanks!!

David J.
DavidJones

Re: Flipping Individual Flashcards

Postby Ernie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi David J,

Hmmm, you can study side 2 first by changing the "show side first" setting to 2. Is the problem you only want to do this for select cards? Whould another alternative be to select which cards are reversible (and which are not), so you can show side 2 first, but only affect some of the cards? Another option may be to copy the cards you want to study backwards to a new deck so you can switch to side 2 first. (You can copy using the "Mode" button in the card listing screen.)

Even another thing I might offer is the ability to actually switch the text of side 1 and side 2 for a card. This is more permanent though.

You're idea seems to ignore the fact that there is a "show side 2 first" setting, so I'm a little confused on how to proceed here.

Ernie

P.S. Your name reminds me of good times long ago when listening to Love and Rockets. (David J was bass player)
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby David J » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:16 am

As an example here is a set of some flashcards:

Xylem Components <---> Companion Cells | Sieve Tubes <--- Both sides work
Fruiting Body <---> Large visible part of mushroom with gills for spreading spores. <--- Both sides work
How does a mushroom start? <---> Each spore grows a hypha and they have sex creating a mycelium <--- Only side 1 works
Dicotyledon <---> Has 2 embryonic leafs | Flowers are in 4's or 5's|Tap Root (1 root) <--- Both sides work

As you see, when studying side 2 of the set the third card 3 wont work because I will see "Each spore grows a hypha and they have sex creating a mycelium" and have to guess "How does a mushroom start?", that just doesn't work.

See what I mean?
David J

Postby Ernie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 am

I see. Working with the currently limitations, what I would suggest is to add a category to each card. You can add categories to multiple cards at once using the "Mode" button at the bottom of the card listing screen. Then, when you switch to show side first of 2, you can filter the cards so that only the "reversible" cards are shown and tested. After you've gotten familiar with adding categories, this might be just as good as any other solution.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby David J » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Yeah I used this method, the only problem is you can't study the other cards only the flagged.

!!
David J

Postby Ernie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 pm

You mentioned "flagged". Use a flag you do have some limitations with filtering, but I was talking about assigned a category to each card, which is different. I'm not sure if we're on the same page.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback