Sync between multiple devices

Sync between multiple devices

Postby bigjppop » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:23 am

Is there a way to easily sync my content between multiple devices? I just bought the app and have been building some decks but I'm building them in my iPad and would like to also access them on my iPod Touch. I'd love to have the decks backup to my computer each time I sync and then have them automatically sync to all my devices.

Possible?
bigjppop

Re: Sync between multiple devices

Postby abcet » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:08 am

The easiest way is probably to use Dropbox. That's how I deal with it!! After your learning you use 'Export' or if you want a full backup with all deck-settings. Then on your iPad just 'Restore' or 'Download'. You have a backup on your computer every time you use Backup or Export. Further Dropbox let you restore all the modified files in it.
On the upper picture you can see the restore possibility and on the lower the 'Dropbox' with the synced decks on your computer:
abload.de/img/dropboxctab.jpg
abcet

Postby Ernie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:34 am

bigjppop: To add to abcet's comments...

The app doesn't have a sync. You can export and import, so it's up to you to keep yourself organized and remember to export your progress and then import to your other device for a new study session. You can import/export pretty easily using Google Docs or Dropbox. To update/export one or more decks at a time, tap Edit, the deck, then either Download or Export. For a full backup/restore option, tap Edit then the "Backup / Restore" button at bottom.

I may implement a better "sync" at some point, but not soon. I will be looking at iCloud's functionality in this regard closely to see if it might make this all easier.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby bigjppop » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks for the responses; iCloud was what got me thinking about it and I'd love to see that functionality built into this app.
bigjppop

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:33 am

I hope you will develop a backup option that is not internet dependent. I work in an area in which we have no internet coverage at all, not even by satellite phone, and if the only means of backup is by googledocs and/or icloud, then I will be limited in my backup options to once a month when I come out of the isolated location in order to connect to the internet.

Even though there is supposedly internet access all over the world, there are still thousands of locations in remote areas where people live that have no access to the internet or computers!! It sounds too amazing to be true, but it is, because I live in one of them. The people in these locations speak minority languages, and having a tool like flashcards deluxe is very helpful for learning their undocumented languages - especially if you can make its functionality independent of an internet connection. Thanks!!

Postby Ernie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 am

You can't backup pictures without internet, but you can backup text. If you have email set up on your device, you can backup by exporting by email. Even if you don't have internet access, you'd have a backup in your outbox. Yeah, you wouldn't be able to restore until you got at your email though. Another option is to use iTunes file sharing. There is a file accessible called "Flashcards.sql". You can copy this to your hard drive as a backup. To restore, you can use file sharing to rename or delete the current Flashcards.sql and copy a backup into the Documents area in iTunes. (Make sure you remove the app from memory before renaming or restoring the .sql file.) I'm not sure if backing up or restoring media through iTunes would work. I'm aware this is all not really fine-tuned for non-internet backup/restore.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby norbert » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:51 pm

To add to Ernie's comment: If you have a jailbroken device, get iFile and just copy the Flashcards.sql database to some other place on your device. Then you can "restore" by copying it back.
norbert

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback