Wishlist item: total due cards statistics

Wishlist item: total due cards statistics

Postby norbert » Sun May 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Ernie,
I sometimes find myself checking each combination deck on how many cards are due in the next few days. By now I have to enter each deck by itself (or via the "Other Deck" link).

Would it be possible to have somewhere a statistic mentioning "Cards due in all decks: Today, Tomorrow, ...."?

Thanks and all the best

Norbert
norbert

Re: Wishlist item: total due cards statistics

Postby Ernie » Sun May 22, 2011 7:54 pm

I think so. I'll look at this soon and let you know.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby norbert » Sun May 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks, great.
norbert

Postby Ernie » Sun May 22, 2011 9:34 pm

I assume one solution would be to create a new combo deck with all decks, and just check that. Is that correct?

The complication for you would be that you have 2.5 million decks, right?

Maybe what I can do is in the "View" menu, have an option "All Decks". When you tap it, it creates a combo deck in memory that then can be used to both view all cards in the listing (which some people ask for) and would allow you to view statistics. The downside might be that performance could be slow because it has to sort all the cards for the card listing which is something you don't need.

Thoughts?
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby norbert » Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Ernie,

Ernie wrote:I assume one solution would be to create a new combo deck with all decks, and just check that. Is that correct?

Unfortunately not, because this would not take multiple statistics into account. Since I have now merged the copies of decks (for studying in both directions) into one and use multiple statistics (BTW, I wanted to post that perl script here in case someone else needs it), creating one combo deck will not work because I cannot include a deck two times into the same combo deck.

Ernie wrote:The complication for you would be that you have 2.5 million decks, right?

Hahahaha, of course, I create for each flashcard I have to learn about 200 decks in all the variations. No, I guess you know what I have.

Ernie wrote:Maybe what I can do is in the "View" menu, have an option "All Decks". When you tap it, it creates a combo deck in memory that then can be used to both view all cards in the listing (which some people ask for) and would allow you to view statistics. The downside might be that performance could be slow because it has to sort all the cards for the card listing which is something you don't need.

See above, the ComboDeck thing will not work. Or, you would have to create a ComboDeck with all statistics that are actually used.

Well, if it does not fit into the overall design, no problem at all, then.

All the best

Norbert
norbert

Postby Ernie » Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 pm

I think I see. You have a single card, and stat 1 says it's due in 1 day, and stat 2 says it's due in 7 days. In the stat reporting screen, you want to see 1 card in the tomorrow box, and 1 card (really the same card) in the +7 day box. Correct?

This is making my tired brain hurt at the moment. I'm not sure. I've got a few requests that are kind-of-maybe similar, and coming up with a flexible/generic way to handle all of these ideas is what I'm looking for. I'll need to give this more thought.

I will get back to you.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby norbert » Tue May 24, 2011 3:05 am

Hi Ernie,

Ernie wrote:I think I see. You have a single card, and stat 1 says it's due in 1 day, and stat 2 says it's due in 7 days. In the stat reporting screen, you want to see 1 card in the tomorrow box, and 1 card (really the same card) in the +7 day box. Correct?

Correct. Simply because the one is the one learning Japanese->German and the other is learning the same word German->Japanese.

Or even worse, one is learning the reading of a Kanji, and one is learning the writing of a Kanji.

These are completely independent, in the former case not so obvious, but if you learn a lot you realize that you always have to learn in both directions. And in the second case it is absolutely clear.

Ernie wrote:This is making my tired brain hurt at the moment. I'm not sure. I've got a few requests that are kind-of-maybe similar, and coming up with a flexible/generic way to handle all of these ideas is what I'm looking for. I'll need to give this more thought.

No worry, no hurry, actually all I need is already here ;-)

Thanks as usual

Norbert
norbert

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback