google docs spreadsheet

google docs spreadsheet

Postby Bunny » Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 pm

I created a spreadsheet at Google docs following the instructions for the "New Import Format." Can I upload the spreadsheet at orangorapple? BTW this is a great app…i've downloaded cards created by others. Just having trouble creating my own. thanks r
Bunny

Re: google docs spreadsheet

Postby Ernie » Tue May 03, 2011 7:38 pm

If using Google Docs, you don't need to use OrangeOrApple.com. Create a collection in Goggle Docs called "Flashcards Deluxe" and put your spreadsheet in there. You should then be able to download from within the app. Tap +, Google Docs, enter your Google login info and you should see your deck available for download. Let me know if you have any trouble with the above.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Bunny » Thu May 05, 2011 3:44 am

thank you ernie. will let you know.
Bunny

Postby norbert » Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 am

Ernie, this is not released by now, or?
norbert

Postby gingerclaire » Mon May 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Ernie, I have been using Flashcards Deluxe as a tool for learning my language vocabulary, using OrangeOrApple to upload my new decks. I have maintained a single master spreadsheet on googledocs and see that you have added a way of downloading decks directly from googledocs. I think I have followed your instructions by creating a collection called "Flashcards Deluxe" and by saving my Excel doc into that collection, however, when I try to access my spreadsheet through the app the deck does not show up - instead I just see an empty folder.

What am I doing wrong please?
gingerclaire

Postby Ernie » Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Norbert, the current version on the iTunes store (which is a few months old) allows for Google Docs downloads.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Mon May 09, 2011 6:37 pm

gingerclaire,

It sounds like you have it set up right, so not sure.
"Flashcards Deluxe" collection must be at the top, not a sub-folder.

First, remove the app from memory and restart it. (Double-click the home button to see apps in memory.) See if that fixes the problem.

If you have a * spreadsheet * in the collection and it's not showing up in the app, I'm a little baffled. Maybe try deleting the collection, clearing the trash, recreating the collection, adding a new spreadsheet, restarting the app, and see if that helps.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby gingerclaire » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks for that. I tried converting the Excel spreadsheet into the googledocs own format and that seemed to solve the invisibility issue. Then I tried to download the flashcards, it seems to crash the app. When I clicked on the download button I got the "Downloading Text..." message, which sat there for about 5 seconds before the screen went black and I wasreturned to my home screen (although when I check, the app is still running).

I have just reformatted my spreadsheet getting rid of some of the extra columns I had added to make it easier to manage for me and that seems to have solved all my problems. It is now working like a dream!
gingerclaire

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Now, one last question for now - is there a neat way of uploading back into my googledocs spreadsheet? For example, if I add a card to the deck on my phone, or if I notice a mistake whilst I'm using the app in class and correct it? It would be great if I could do this without losing my deck statistics...

Postby Ernie » Thu May 12, 2011 6:44 am

The new version of his app will hopefully come out in a couple weeks and will have the ability to export directly to GDocs.

The way to do it now is to export your deck by email. (Tap Edit, the deck, then Export.) You'll get a text file. Change to a .tsv extension and upload to GDocs.
When you export, you can include statistics data in your text (turn on that option), which you should do for backup purposes.
If you ever want to send from GDocs to the app, you can update an existing deck rather than create a new one by tapping "Edit", the deck, then "Download". If you've got statistics on both sides, the app will ask you which set you want to use.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Thu May 12, 2011 8:44 am

Oh, if you have a version of your Excel (that was easier to manager) and can share that with me, I can see why it was crashing and fix that.
I've been told that if you include the same column header twice (Text1 : Text1), then it will crash. I'm not sure if that was your problem. Anyway, glad it's working now. Sorry about the trouble.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby gingerclaire » Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm

How would you like me to send it?
gingerclaire

Postby Ernie » Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 pm

If ok, email me at et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby gingerclaire » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 am

Hi, I have worked my way around the way Flashcards exports to Googledocs and have just changed my update method a little to accommodate the different layout. I have been using it for a few weeks, and I love the new upload feature. It's brilliant, thanks!!
gingerclaire

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback