Select single cards and add them for learning

Select single cards and add them for learning

Postby Lildreas » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:51 pm

Hi,

I love the app and I’m using it to learn the Spanish-German vocabulary with the “Spanisch 5000” database.

I’m already learning the first two categories E1 & E2 for both directions, ES-DE and DE-ES.

I’m learning grammar with another program, and I often encounter words I now want to add to the words I’m learning.

So I selected the “Spanisch 5000” dataset and openend the list of all words. I searched for a word like “girar”, found it in the database selected it and changed the status to “new”. I hoped by doing this it would be added to the list of words I will get presented when I select to learn “new” words.

But the number of new words was not incremented on the main page (where you get the statistics etc.).

So, can someone tell me how I simply add words I want to learn from the database? And preferable for both directions?

Thanks & best
Andreas
Lildreas

Re: Select single cards and add them for learning

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:38 pm

Hi Andreas,

This is a good question. There are two potential complications.

Changing status to "New" is the correct approach.
By default you have 20 "new" cards. (This might be 10 cards, but both directions.) If you change a status to "New", then there should be 21 new cards (or 22 with both directions). But, because the app will only show you 20 new cards at a time in the study screen, one of them won't be shown until on of the new cards moves to "active". At this time, that extra new card should be shown. I don't really have an idea on how to show right away. Just know that it should show up soon.

"But the number of new words was not incremented on the main page (where you get the statistics etc.)."
I don't know what this means. I can't remember where this would be.

Another problem is if you have selected only E01 & E02, then your word "girar" won't be included if not in 01 or 02. Possible solution:
Go to card listing
View (at bottom), New Category 3. Add a new category called "Priority".
View (at bottom), New Category 2. Add a new category called "Nothing".
In the "Deck Options" screen, tap Deutsch -> Spanish, Cards to Study. You selected E01, E02, right? What about:

Category 1: E01, E02
Category 2: Nothing
Category 3: Exclude Unassigned (which is what will show if you select just "Priority"

Change "And / Or" to "Or".
We had to set Category 2 to "Nothing" otherwise this "or" setting won't work like we want it to.

Now you should be seeing cards that are in your selected E01, etc, and also cards that you have set to "Priority".

Does this seem like it works for you?
I'm sorry for it being so complicated! I need to think about a possible update on how make this easier for people. I do want to be better support this situation.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Lildreas » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:01 am

Hi Ernie,

thank you so much for your fast answer!

It works like a charm, “girar” now popped up as expected, for both learning directions, I love it!

And yes, it’s a bit complicated to set this up, without your help I wouldn’t have been able to solve this. So if you can find a better way to tackle this I think it would be good, it could be useful for lots of users.

As I’m using FCD daily I of course support the development with a monthly subscription, please keep on the good work!

Best from Germany
Andreas
Lildreas

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:28 pm

"I of course support the development with a monthly subscription"

Thank you!!! That is kind of you. I appreciate it.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback