Feature request

Feature request

Postby kraemder » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:15 pm

I haven’t made any suggestions for ages because I felt like the app was so well developed already it didn’t need anything and it was just selfish to ask for more. And this request is a little selfish but still worth throwing out there just in case 😆. Have you thought of adding a feature to add pinyin or furigana the same way you do Google translate? So you could add an option for side 2 maybe to be pinyin or furigana and it uses side 1 as a source. I don’t know if there any websites or online services that provide this sort of function so app authors like yourself and just send text to them and then they’ll spit out the results that would made this not too terrible to implement.

I love using the app to mine vocabulary and phrases and if the app were able to add the pronunciation quickly and easily the way it adds Google translations that would be really useful.
kraemder

Re: Feature request

Postby Ernie » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:02 pm

Hi kraemder,

I'm not really interested in this at this time.

I assume there are websites that will do this? Let that be part of your process, to add that information more manually.

Chinese can sometimes/oftentimes have different pronunciations for the same characters, depending on usage/meaning. So the conversion program has to be pretty smart to group characters correctly, and on some cases pick between multiple pronunciations.

Many years ago I used a program call mecab to add pronunciation to a large amount of Japanese text. I assume it worked pretty well. But difficult to program/implement.

It's worth asking for stuff. In this case, users will need to get pronunciations outside of the app, as I don't have plans to add such a feature. Sorry about that.
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Feature request

Postby kraemder » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:56 pm

Ok if I think of anything else useful I’ll mention it. I haven’t any idea how hard this would be to implement but I thought it was worth mentioning. Yeah some sites seem to do a better job of converting to pinyin / furigana. Actually Google does it for both languages although for Japanese it uses romaji which is very painful on the eyes. But I’m sure beginners love it. And there’s always more beginners than people who actually invest time into a language and so they will make apps for the majority of course.
kraemder

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback