New feature suggestion: Floating adjustment of max interval

New feature suggestion: Floating adjustment of max interval

Postby Cactus » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:31 am

Hi Ernie,

This feature suggestion might be a bit niche, but I still want to put it forward:

It would be a helpful to me if you could implement some kind of “floating adjustment” of maximum interval times depending on the number of active cards.

For example: If 200 cards are active and I want to limit the average number of cards that I have to review on any given day to 10, then the app should automatically set the maximum interval to 20 days (200 ÷ 10 = 20). When I add 15 cards, it should adjust the interval to 21.5 days. (215 ÷ 10 = 21.5). When I add another 5 cards, it should adjust the interval to 22 days (220 ÷ 10 = 22).

This way, it wouldn’t be necessary to manually change the maximum interval because you get more and more overwhelmed by the number of cards that become due the more cards become active in a deck.

I hope the idea and the explanation makes sense to you.

Best,
Chris
Cactus

Re: New feature suggestion: Floating adjustment of max inter

Postby Ernie » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:53 pm

Hi Chris,

Wanting to control the number of due cards is a very valid want/request.

I'm not sure changing the max interval like that is the way to go. It seems like you are unnaturally capping your max interval. The normal system should provide enough reviews without capping. As your deck grows, you will may still start getting too many due cards, even when no card has reached the max (say 1 year).

I think a whole different way to handle this needs to be implemented. Cards need to be delayed, but how best to delay which cards I think is tricky. But I don't know exactly how I want to handle this yet, and it won't happen anytime soon because of time constraints and other priorities.

So nothing will happen soon. Sorry about that. But I do hope to eventually provide a way to cap daily due cards. In the meantime, a couple options is to 1) ignore the total due cards # (and maybe set the "due cards priority" to "oldest due"), or and/or 2) periodically use the "push back due cards" feature to push due dates of all cards back say 7 week, giving you a little breathing space when getting overwhelmed by due cards.

A lot of due cards is generally just a psychological problem. I doesn't need to be real problem in my view. But I know that it's easier to give up or "Feel" overwhelmed with a lot of due cards. Just study what you can, and use a "due cards priority" of choice, and you should get similar results as a built-in method to control due card count.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback