Audio

Audio

Postby Dan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi,

Have you considered an audio option for Flashcards?
A set could run as a podcast (jogging, driving...).

Dan
Dan

Re: Audio

Postby Ernie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:36 am

Dan,

My app supports sound right now. You can upload your own sounds from your PC, or you can record them directly in the app. If you have a sound on a card, you'll see a play button in the middle. You can double-tap this to turn auto-play on/off. Also, in browse mode you can start a "slideshow". With all this, you can listen and learn without even touching the device. You can even specify how many times you want a sound to repeat itself before it moves on, and set delays between card flipping. Let me know if you need help with any of this.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi Ernie,

My question was a little vague - I apologize. I was wondering about text to speech capability (as in Quizlet).

Thanks,
Dan
Dan

Postby Ernie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Ah, this is something I'd like to do, but not easy to implement. I have started looking into my options. If I did this, I probably wouldn't add a TTS engine in the app, but rather provide some service from within the app where you can submit your words and my server will return sound clips and the app will attach them to the cards. I'm not sure when this will happen, but I was thinking that I might try to get serious about this over the summer sometime. We'll see.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon May 09, 2011 10:47 pm

No idea how hard it would be, but google has a TTS... not sure what their license looks like... would love to see something like this work:

Text 1 Text 2 Text 3 Sound 1 Sound 2
Pants Kùzi 裤子 <link to google translate>/translate_tts?tl=en&q=Pants <link to google translate>/translate_tts?tl=zh-TW&q=裤子
Shoes Xiézi 鞋子 <link to google translate>/translate_tts?tl=en&q=Shoes <link to google translate>/translate_tts?tl=zh-TW&q=鞋子

Trying to get some flash cards working for my 6 year old and her Chinese... trouble is she's just learning to read English and hasn't yet begun Pinyin or has the character recognition down yet.

NOTE: I couldn't add the full links above. www dot translate dot google dot com ... was just hoping it would work :)

Postby Ernie » Mon May 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Well, I'm starting to get more serious about this. I'm still in the very beginning stages, so I can't say much other than I hope this TTS stuff will work out.

I see you can get translations from Google:
http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=zh-TW&q=裤子
(pretty cool!)

I'm looking into licensing a different (better quality) TTS system. There are technical challenges to overcome, so I'll take it a step at a time. Hopefully in a few months I'll have a "beta" service available in the app for this.

The next update will have the ability to record audio directly from the study screen, which should make adding audio much easier.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback