sync across devices - database names are incorrect

sync across devices - database names are incorrect

Postby Hunter » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:37 pm

A few weeks ago somehow the names I see when I Sync Download from another device got messed up. Changes I make on my Mac get saved as "iPad.sql", and the database formerly known as "_Sync iPhone 12 Pro Max.sql" now saves as "iPhone.sql". I tried deleting the databases, but when the device makes a new database, it uses the old, wrong name. I guess another way to ask the question is: Why does my Mac database get saved as "iPad.sql"? Where is this name stored and how can I change it to the correct name?
Hunter

Re: sync across devices - database names are incorrect

Postby Ernie » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:43 am

Hi. I didn't know about this change. The app asks "Apple" for the device name. This is stored in Apple's settings (General, About). But starting with iOS 16, Apple protects this name and just returns a generic name, like "iPhone". Generally speaking, the name is not important, and going forward with _Sync iPhone.sql should work the exact same as before. BUT, if you have two iPhones or two iPads that you are trying to sync, they would seem to then overwrite each other, using the same file name. This situation requires me to update the app.

If seems like you have one iPhone and one iPad (as far as names go), which would seems to work fine still. No?

Do you run the app on your Mac? I tried logging into Dropbox on my Mac and was not able to. Maybe I need to try to fix something that broke.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback