Trapped in a loop!

Trapped in a loop!

Postby Kitiara » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 am

Hi everybody!
I've been using this app for a while and I'm losing my interest because I don't know how to change how frequent my incorrect answers appear.

I wanna play short rounds and, if I have some mistakes, I don't wanna see the same cards again and again and again in sucessive rounds: I want them to appear after 24 to 48 hours have passed.
If every time I fail, the next try is boring: of course I remember the answer, I saw it five seconds ago! How can I change this option? I have tried and I can't find it.

Thanks in advance!!! :) :)
Kitiara

Re: Trapped in a loop!

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:08 pm

The frequency and time of showing wring cards is depending on the setting. Have a look into the learning mode, «repeat missed» and setting for «wrong».

Are you using «short term goal» or «spaced repetition»?
Looking into the help you will find the following:
Repeat Missed
If turned on, when a round (a single pass through the study deck) finishes, you will be tested again on just the cards you got wrong. This special "repeat round" will continue until you answer every card correctly. You can tell if you are in a "repeat round" by looking for an asterisk (*) after the card count shown in the bottom left of the study screen, e.g. 9 of 12 *.
Spaced Repetition
Spaced repetition has its own "Repeat Missed" setting and behavior. By default, missed cards are shown next round. If set to "15 minutes", missed cards will become due again in 15 minutes. If set to "Off", missed cards will become due again after their current interval without any extra repeats.
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:26 pm

Hi Kitiara,

If you like the idea of cards repeating after a certain amount of time, I recommend you try Card Order = Spaced Repetition. This is what I use for long-term language learning.

Info about my spaced repetition:
https://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/AboutSR.aspx

When on, missed cards are repeated the "next round". This can be changed in the "Repeat Missed" setting, as Katja mentioned.
You can change to "8 hours", or the next option is to turn repeats off, and have the next review just be what it would "normally" be. If the cards current interval is 4 days, then an incorrect answer would cut the interval in half to 2 days. So if repeat missed is turned off, the card is shown in 2 days (without the extra repeat). This applies to "spaced repetition".

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Kitiara » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:36 am

Hi!

First of all thanks for your answers!

I've been using spaced repetition with "repeat missed off". What I wanted to do is learning vocabulary and expressions all along the course (8 months), so I thought this could be the best option (as you said, thanks Ernie!). I've changed the "wrong interval factor" to 1.0 and the "max interval after wrong" to 6 but I'm still seeing the same wrong cards again and again and again. I'm sure I'm missing some settings but I can't find which one or where. I hope I can find a way to change it because it's not really working for me and that's a pitty.

Ideally, the wrong ones should appear after a day or two (24 hours, 48 hours), not in the next round immediately. But I really don't know how to change it.

Thank you for your help and advice. And thanks Ernie for the link, now I understand what exactly "due" are. :D
Kitiara

Postby Ernie » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:32 pm

I don't know yet.

When you open th study screen, you'll see how many:
Pending/New cards
Due cards
Not-due cards

When studying a card, you'll intervals at the bottom, representing the next time you'll see a card:
example: "(1) 16h 2 3" The first number in parenthesis is the card's current interval in days (rounded). The next three show you what the card's interval will become depending on your answer: wrong, correct or strongly correct.

When studying a due card, you'll intervals at the bottom, representing the next time you'll see a card:
example: "(1) 16h 2 3" The first number in parenthesis is the card's current interval in days (rounded). The next three show you what the card's interval will become depending on your answer: wrong, correct or strongly correct.

Is it possible you are in "new card" mode? Missed cards will keep getting repeated. When you answer a card 3 times in a row, it will move from new -> active. You can change this from 3 to "1" is settings. (I usually do this). So a single correct answer moves it to active. Wrong allows you to keep studying it until you become al little more familiar with it.

To change between "new" and "due" mode, EXIT the deck and enter back into the deck.
If you are in due mode, notice the intervals shown at bottom. If it says you won't see card in 1 day on wrong answer, and you have "repeat missed" off, you shouldn't see it for a day.

If you want, you can export your deck with statistics, email me, and I can take a look and we can discuss.
Ernie
et@orangeorapple.com

As you study, note these numbers and see if you notice a card getting repeated
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback