Importing deck from Anki

Importing deck from Anki

Postby peschiber » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:20 am

In FCD there is the possibility to import cards via “Onedrive” or “Google Drive”

First step: exporting deck within the Anki app
1. try: export deck as *.apkg
I can then load the deck via Onedrive into FCD,
but unfortunately, the created cards are not usable.
Example: "ab[anki:play:q:0]
No sound samples etc. imported, the amount of KB shows: media is included when I exported the file to "Onedrive"
2nd attempt: export deck as *.txt
Same result
3rd try:
Anki Deck exported to “Goolge Drive
It is saved in "Google Drive"

When I like to download the saved file from with FCD, all my files which I used for FCD are shown, but not the Anki file I just saved as an *.apkg

Question:
Does anyone have a solution?
Would be great!

Thank you, Peter El Salvador
peschiber

Re: Importing deck from Anki

Postby Ernie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:36 pm

Hi Peter,

I don't have any support to import Anki data directly. You need to understand this app's import format. If you have media, you'll have a column such as "Sound 1" or "Picture 2", and fill that column with just the sound file name. Media files go into a directory ending in Media (matching text or Excel file name).
For example:
My deck.xlsx
My deck Media
I recommend you use a spreadsheet as a lot easier to manage.

About Anki:

Export deck as txt "Notes in Plain Text". The only way I know to do this is using the desktop app:
Open the deck in your desktop version of Anki. (If you need to, export the deck from the mobile app as an apkg file and import that to the desktop version.)
In Anki desktop, export the deck (File > Export) using format "Notes in Plain Text".
Copy paste that into excel and cleanup if needed so you have a nice two-column list of questions and answer.
If you have picture/sound names, you'll want to keep just the file names (and remove Anki's extra stuff). (You can use a formula to do this.) Save as .xslx or .txt file.

Now you’ll want the media. You need to find where Anki stores it. On PC, try:
%APPDATA%\Anki2 and then \User 1\collection.media
https://docs.ankiweb.net/files.html
This folder may include media for multiple decks. If this is a problem you can create a new user profile and import the deck there. Look under the new user profile directory for the media files.

Or you should be able to unzip the apkg file and file the media in there.

Now you should have text and media and can transfer to Flashcards Deluxe using one of the transfer methods (my website, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive).
http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback