Questions and suggestions

Questions and suggestions

Postby Hombre_sin_nombre » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:36 am

Hi Ernie, thank you for the nice app. I have some questions and suggestions for you.

Questions:

- is it possible to limit a number of words in the speed game? As I understand it, it reviews all words in a deck, but for big decks it could be inconvenient.

- can I add my own sounds for correct word reviews?

- is it possible while learning to see simultaneously both sides of a card?

(all of the above I tried to do in the settings, but unsuccessfully)

- What are exact repetition cycles of learned words?

Suggestions:

- an exit button or double tap confirmation of exit would be great

- learning modes buttons on this page where you see stats and where you choose your next learning mode. So you can, for example, directly tap "new words" or "quiz game" or "review flagged words". At the moment you should do several moves to activate them

- when you are on the page described above and you went into learning new words (usually I do it by error) it's impossible to come back right away to the previous page. If you are tapping an arrow in the top corner, then you are going to a deck page (a page with subdecks; you are taking two steps back instead of one). Can you make this arrow button bring you back to the page with learning modes?
Hombre_sin_nombre

Re: Questions and suggestions

Postby Ernie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:32 pm

Hi,

1. In Deck Options > Cards to Study, you can filter on certain cards, say by "Category" value. Category is a good way to organize cards into small groups. After applying filter, Speed Game should limit the cards to current study set (based on Cards to Study)

2. There is a "guitar" sound option to play when getting a card correct. Is this what you are talking about. No, there's no option to use another sound at this time.

3. Yes, you can see both sides. Go to Deck Options > Card Layout, and select the "Add Front on Back" option. This will use a predefined layout that includes both Text 1 and Text 2 on Side 2 (the back). You can also create your layouts to include your text items however you see fit. In Card Layout, tap Custom 1, then to edit, tap Edit, Custom 1....

4. Repetition cycles... I think the following page will answer your question
https://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/AboutSR.aspx

Suggestions

A. Exit? Confirmation? For what screen/feature?

B. Yes, changing some modes takes a few taps. I try to keep most popup (spaced repetition)/stat screens simple, as I think that's how most people would want it. If you change between settings a lot, create a "Combination Deck" (using the same base deck as your main deck) and you can then change options as desired, and then pick which DECK you want to enter depending on if you want to do quiz or flagged, etc. One downside might be that if you specify criteria, that won't get applied to related combination decks automatically.

C. Understand your suggestion, but I like it the way it is currently better.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Hombre_sin_nombre » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:28 am

Thank you for your answers, Ernie.

I've started using your app only recently, at the moment I'm trying to adjust it for my needs. Don't know if it's possible at all or how difficult is to add one feature or another to the FCD, so it's my ideas about what could have been done.

1. Speed game with, for example, 10, 50 or 100 random cards out of your deck.

2. An option to choose your own sounds.

3. Sometimes I'm quitting the app by accident (from the main page), you can expect to see something by tapping "back" button. Exit confirmation would prevent you from things like that. It's not critical though.

4. Make several learning modes available on the deck page, thus you don't have to go into settings every time (speed game, typing, etc.). I've managed with combination deck, but why not allow more choices?

For instance, while learning new words I want to see both sides of cards, but to do quiz I have to change this. Separate settings for different modes would be really great.

5. Where I can see total number of learned words? Can't find it.
Hombre_sin_nombre

Postby Ernie » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:13 pm

1. Correct, there's no option to take a random set of say 10 cards. I'm not sure how useful that would be to the average person, but I can give it some thought.
2. Don't have plans to add custom answer sounds at this time.
3. It seems most apps don't have an exit confirmation box, and not sure what the general consensus is on this. I haven't had this request before. I can put on my things to consider list.
4. I assume most people study in the same mode generally, so having extra options every time they open the deck doesn't seem all the great. I wouldn't want it. If you like to switch a lot, it seems combination decks would work. I hear what you are saying, but not convinced it's the best option for most people. Speed game is easy enough to start when you enter. I see what you mean about having to change layout for speed game. I think combination decks provide flexibility. Another option is to turn on "Advanced Layout" and you can switch between views/settings there. It's basically the same thing as a combination deck, but you can make your settings/view options within a single deck. In the main screen of Deck Options, you can toggle which view(s) you want activated for your current session.
5. If you are using "short term goal" mode, there is a "target streak" setting, and a summary screen item "cards mastered" showing you the count. Otherwise, you can open statistic screen (button at bottom of main screen, or option to open in Spaced Repetition intro screen) and view the "by Streak" or "by Internal" counts. These will give you general progress levels.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback