Question about umlauts and other special characters

Question about umlauts and other special characters

Postby TheNCGoalie » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Now that I’ve figured out my ideal setup for flashcards & spelling cards, I’m seeing some issues with special characters on the spelling cards. For words like Wörterbuch, the spelling card shows the result as if I was wrong, but doesn’t have any letters highlighted in red. On the other hand, for Straße I had no issues with the card accepting the correct answer.

Is there anything I should know for ö or ä words as far as formatting in the spreadsheet, or is it just something where I need to swipe left to indicate that I did indeed get the card right? If that’s the case, do the statistics record properly if the card thinks I spelled it wrong, but I swipe left afterwards?
TheNCGoalie

Re: Question about umlauts and other special characters

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 pm

Hi,
I am German and just test Wörterbuch which works well for me.

Could you please provide more details:
How did you enter «Wörterbuch» into the cards?
How do you enter the word during the spelling test? E.g. By numbers or specific keybord?
Did you update the card with the same way, you type Wörterbuch in the spelling? Is there still a difference?
Katja from Hamburg

Re: Question about umlauts and other special characters

Postby TheNCGoalie » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:43 pm

I am thinking it could be the way that the characters are encoded. Sometimes I update my Google Sheets document on a windows laptop, other times I'm updating it on my iMac or iPad pro. I only use the app on my iPad pro, so I'm going to try replacing all of the special characters with it to see if it's just the encoding that causes the error.
TheNCGoalie

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback