Sync with spreadsheets

Sync with spreadsheets

Postby basashi » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:30 pm

Thank you for developing such a powerful app.

I would like to use a spreadsheet to manage my cards. Specifically, I want to use the spreadsheet to add cards to an existing deck, and to edit existing cards. On the other hand, I would like to be able to edit the cards in the app while memorizing them. To do this, I have to go through the tedious process of exporting the cards from the app, editing them in the spreadsheet, and uploading them to the app. In addition, there is a risk that new changes will be discarded if the procedure is done incorrectly.

If I wanted to, I could keep all the information in a spreadsheet, including card content and statistics. In this way, you can use your personal cloud storage for synchronization without relying on the app's synchronization feature. It's a great relief to be able to manage the data myself.

Is the latter feasible? Also, is there any way to improve the former?
basashi

Re: Sync with spreadsheets

Postby Ernie » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:32 pm

Hi. I agree that there's no great solution to editing cards on both computer and in the app. What I generally do is flag a card that I need to fix while studying, then later I can view the flagged cards from the card listing and make the changes on my computer, then clear the flags in bulk.

If you are using Dropbox or OneDrive, you can easily export directly to your computer as an Excel file (assuming you have their desktop app installed that auto-syncs to local drive). I think this isn't a big deal. These cloud solutions also have backup versions you can restore from if anything goes wrong. The app will also backup a version to "Deck before Update" folder when running the "download/update" routine.

I don't fully understand your desire in your last part, related to "statistics". The app won't support your own personal cloud storage. If you use Android, you can import/export between the device's internal storage.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback