Keyboard and shortcuts

Keyboard and shortcuts

Postby Max » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:56 pm

Hey Earnie,

I have a little feature request :). Have you thought about making FCD more compatible with keyboard-use. In my opinion shortcuts would be awesome, e.g. a shortcut for jumping into the edit-mode of a card. What I would also enjoy a lot is scrolling up and down with the arrow keys. What do you think about it?

Thanks for your effort.

Best regards
Max
Max

Re: Keyboard and shortcuts

Postby Ernie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:02 am

Hi Max,

Try "e". That should bring you to edit card screen.
Check out the in-app help for Bluetooth Keyboard. I think the full list is documented here.

Scrolling won't likely ever happen. That would require too much work for (my perceived) benefit. Sorry.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Max » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi Ernie,

thanks a lot for you reply! :)

I see that implementing scrolling up and down with the arrow-keys would be to much work.
But would it be easier to at least implement a short-cut to get into scrolling mode e.g. by pressing „R“?
Maybe even implement a short cut to postpone a due card in spaced repition mode to the next round.

I hope this question is not annoying you :D

Further, I just want to mention that I am very impressed by your level of support!

Best regards
Max
Max

Postby Ernie » Thu May 13, 2021 5:12 am

Hi Max,

Oh, I'm really sorry... I never replied to your last message.

You have two keyboard shortcut requests:

1) key to enter (and maybe exit) scrolling mode. I'm considering adding a button at the bottom to do this. Adding a keyboard shortcut at the same time might be a good idea.
2) key to postpone a due card. If you didn't know, you can add a button to the bottom of the study screen to get to postpone little more quickly (save a tap). Global Options > Control > Study Buttons. The complication I see here is that it might not be clear *how long* the card will be postponed for if a user taps keyboard shortcut.

I'm not super enthusiastic about either one of these (work vs how many people this is going to help) but both seem like a reasonable request. I'll add it to my list.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby KirkRyan1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:05 am

Sorry, may not be the correct section for this question.

Not yet purchased the app. Have questions about formatting text first.

I don't see any examples in files or videos of text with accent marks. How does the program handle those?
In Anki, you have to do a lot of massaging and have to convert the text using a specific file format. How does Flashcards Deluxe handle that?
And does the source program used to create those accent marks on the text (text editor vs Excel) matter? I'm tired of having to go back
into the deck and fix the accent marks that didn't come over correctly in Anki. Looking for a better solution.

Thank you in advance
KirkRyan1

Postby Ernie » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:16 am

KirkRyan1,

You can create a new topic for a new question.

I replied to your comment on YouTube. See below, and we'll go from there.

If you are not using a special font to show your accent marks, then any app should show these characters just fine. If saving as a text file, you'll need to save in a format like UTF8, as ASCII format only supports basic latin letters like A-Z. You shouldn't have any problem with Excel (again assuming you are not using a special font). You create accent marks either using your keyboard when you type or copy-pasting from online source. If you need more support, I recommend you email me (Ernie) at et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback