cards which only show one side (in a deck which switches)

cards which only show one side (in a deck which switches)

Postby manjade » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:45 am

Hello, I am new to this app, so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere

Situation:
I have a deck for learning numbers
side1: 1
side2: one
etc
the deck alternates between showing side 1 and side 2 first to aid learning in both directions

I would like to add some cards to the deck which only start with side 1 and never with side 2
eg.
side1: 8+4
side2: 12

is this possible? and if so, how do I do it?
thanks in advance
manjade

Re: cards which only show one side (in a deck which switches

Postby Ernie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 pm

To keep things simple for yourself, you might want to just duplicate the cards that can be tested in both directions.

To do what you want, you first need to assign a category to each card. You might pick category names like "One Dir", "Both Dir".

In Deck Options, turn on "Advanced Layout". You should see two layout names called "1->2" and "2->1". Select both if not already.
Now all you need to do is tap "2->1", Cards to Study, Category 1, and show only the "Both Dir" category.

I think that will give you what you want.

If you need further help (such as adding categories), let me know.

The following webpage goes over a more advanced scenario of having some cards be multiple choice and some "regular" type. You might look over to get some more ideas on how the app works.
https://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/AdvLayout.aspx
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:26 am

I am in exactly the same situation as the topic starter and ended up using an approach similar to what you have suggested: I assign a category to those cards that I want to be shown only in one direction and turn them off in the 2 –> 1 layout. This works very well, but I wish there were a way to set up one-directional cards directly in the card edit screen without having to assign categories, e.g. by means of a checkbox.
Do you think such a feature could be added to FCD?

Postby Ernie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 am

Guest,

I'm glad the procedure worked for you.

No, I don't plan on adding a checkbox at the card level. I understand this would work well for you, but this extra option would be rare used by anyone, and there is currently a solution to get you what you need (though I know not perfect due to category assignment).

If you are creating cards on computer, it's easy to assign categories in a spreadsheet column. If you are using the app, you can assign categories to multiple cards at once using the card listing screen's "Mode" button at bottom, select cards in bulk, and using the Mode button again to assign a (pre-created) category to these selected cards.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback