error uploading pics

error uploading pics

Postby bretd » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:31 pm

Hello,
I've never had trouble importing a zipped folder of pictures to go with my flashcard text before, but this time I'm getting this error:
"Problem unzipping file. FileStream will not open Win32 devices such as disk partitions and tape drives. Avoid use of "\\.\" in the path.. E:\web\orangeor\flashcards\"

I don't think either of these cases applies to me, is there anything else that anyone knows of that would prevent a zipped folder of images from uploading?

Thanks,
-Bret
bretd

Re: error uploading pics

Postby Ernie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:07 am

Hi Bret,

I really don't know. I've never seen this before. I would try rezipping, and also possibly breaking into multiple zips and loading one at a time. If you still have trouble, do you want to send me one of your zip files that is having trouble?

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby bretd » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi Ernie, thanks for your response and for the great app!! I ended up finding that the problem was that I was using a Windows reserved name in one of my filenames – the image was for the French word 'con', so I named the file 'con.jpg', but CON is a Windows reserved name.

Here is what Microsoft has to say about it, in case anyone else runs into this problem:

Do not use the following reserved names for the name of a file:
CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9. Also avoid these names followed immediately by an extension; for example, NUL.txt is not recommended. For more information, see Namespaces.

Thanks,
-Bret
bretd

Postby Ernie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:37 am

Thanks for info. I'm really surprised you can't have a file named "con.___" in Windows! What??
I'm happy you got it figured out.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback