import decks on windows without website

import decks on windows without website

Postby Scot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 am

Hi Ernie

I want to upload/import decks from PC to Ipod touch 3g without website. On your support website, there are directions for air-sharing with mac, but not for windows. Even though you said "I'm not going to discuss doing this in Microsoft Windows, but the concept is similar," :arrow: Can you please give directions for how to set it up with windows?

I might need better hardware and software to do this with windows.
I have a wifi router_modem and I have windows vista home premium and windows xp (but not professional).
Some windows operating systems (like vista and xp basic) don't have the ability to create a web-server.
:arrow: Is there third party software to download to make a home server?

Thank you
Scot

Re: import decks on windows without website

Postby Ernie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:01 pm

You might consider using Dropbox, if you don't mind using the internet. Your files will be kept "private" and it will be easier than setting up your own server. If you don't use pictures, another option would be to use Google Docs.

I appears you can install IIS7 (windows web server) on vista. See the link below:
http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vist ... ows-vista/

Once you've done this, you'll need to figure out the root directory of the web server on your local drive. You can go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > IIS Mananger to open up the server manager to view or change this root directory. The next thing you need is your IP address for your computer. One way to open the command prompt (run "cmd") and then type "ipconfig".

Let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby scot » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply.
NOTE: html includes extra spaces because of html is not allowed in forum posts

1. I was able to install internet services.
2. I was also able to check my IP address.
I am not using internet when I use this web-server. I am only using a wifi-network through a router.
From ipconfig, my "wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection" is 192.168.10.101
3. I also created an appropriate text file ("each line needs to have to two items of text, separated by a tab.")
4. I also added a text file into the webroot directory ("C: \ inetpub\wwwroot")
5. On the Iphone, I found "deck code"
I input "192.168.10.101/test.txt" (copying the format: "192.168.1.102 / ~ernie/sample.txt").
I receive an error "Download Error. Please check that you are connected to the internet either through your cellular network (Iphone) or wi-fi."

Can you correct my procedure?

Thanks in advance.
scot

Postby Ernie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:57 pm

It looks good. Maybe you just need to turn off your Firewall. (Control Panel > Windows Firewall)
Try that first. If works, you can turn the firewall back on and just let HTTP requests through:
"Allow programs to communicate through Windows Firewall"
Check "World Wide Web Services (HTTP)" for Home/Work(Private)

If you still have problems, try some tests.... try opening your web browser on your PC and going to
http://192.168.10.101/test.txt

If that works, try doing the same thing through Safari on your iPhone.

Let me know if you don't get it to work.
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Ernie

Thanks again for your reply.

1. I let HTTP requests through ("allow programs to communciate through windows firewall"
2. I checked " "World Wide Web Services (HTTP)"
I didn't see an option for "Home/Work (Private)."
3. I ran a test by opening the browser and going to "192.168.10.101/ test.txt" and it worked.
4. However, when I tried to download on the flash cards deluxe app, I receive the same error
"Download Error. Please check that you are connected to the internet either through your cellular network (Iphone) or wi-fi."

Can you suggest another useful thing?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Scot

Postby Ernie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Which browser did you test, your PC or your iPhone?

If you didn't do it, try opening up Safari on your iPhone and going to that address.
If it works, then it should also work in the app and I'm not sure what else to suggest.

If it doesn't work, then there is a network problem...
Is your iPhone connected to your home network over wifi?
Maybe try turning your firewall off completely.
Try connecting from another PC, if you have one.

The only thing I can think is that either 1) your iPhone is not on the same network or 2) your computer's firewall rejecting the connection.

Let me know on how the above tests work. Sorry about the trouble.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi Ernie

1. I tested ip address url on the pc and it opened the page.
2. I tested the ip address url on iphone using safari and it opened the page also.
3. In Flashcards deluxe, it says "please check that you are connected to the internet..."
a. Again, I'm trying to do this without internet. I'm only using a wifi router. Do I have to use internet?
b. Both iphone and pc are on the same network. (My pc has ip address 192.168.10.101; My iphone has ip address 192.168.10.102)
c. I've turned the firewall off on the pc and I still can't download the flashcards.

I appreciate any other advice you can give. Thank you.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 pm

additionally, my flashcards deluxe version number is 2.7.1

Postby Ernie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Since you can see the text from Safari, then your connection is good.

tap "+", Private Deck, deck code, and enter "192.168.10.101/test.txt". Then Download. Is this what you are doing?
If that doesn't work, you can try "http://192.168.10.101/test.txt"
If that doesn't work, did you save your text as UTF8 format? Open up in Notepad and change the Encoding in the save-as box.

If that doesn't work, then I'm really all out of ideas. It works ok for me doing this on my computer. At this point, I think you'll just need to resort to one of the other ways to download decks, which unfortunately all require an internet connection. Sorry.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:53 am

1. I saved text file as UTF8 format
2. I typed in "h t t p : / /" before ip address url

... and It worked!

Thank you!

Postby Ernie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Whew! That's good news. You shouldn't need the http:// , so maybe it was just the UTF8 thing... but whatever works.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback