How to reorder cards?

How to reorder cards?

Postby stullj » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Hello,
I’m a long time user of the app, pretty much daily since it first appeared in the App Store. Currently using iPad/iPhone iOS 14.2 and Flashcards deluxe 4.34.4.
I seem to have forgotten how to reorder cards. When I display the list of cards, in card order, and then press the edit option, the little “three horizontal line icons” on the far right for moving the cards don’t show up, only the delete icons on the far left. I tried different card decks, same thing, but then found one on my iPhone where they did show up, but I can’t figure out what setting is different from the others. I use the same deck on my iPad (not synced) in the same way (ordered) but the reorder icons don’t appear on the far right. What am I forgetting to do?
Thanks,
Jeff

Update: I exported the deck to Dropbox from a mini iPad. Then on an iPad Air, deleted the existing deck and loaded the one I just exported from the mini iPad and the reorder icon worked! But when I went back to the mini iPad and deleted the deck and loaded the export... no reorder icons.
stullj

Re: How to reorder cards?

Postby Ernie » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi Jeff,

The secret:

Tap "List" at bottom-left, then tap "Card Order" in Order By section.
This will show cards in "raw" card order, not alphabetical.

In certain cases, the screen will default to the card ordering.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby stullj » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:26 am

Thanks Ernie,
The missing reordering icon seems to be an issue only on my iPad mini. Reordering works fine on my iPad Air and iPhone (I understand the “List” “Card Order” fix you mentioned). I noticed that on the iPad mini I am unable to reorder card decks as well—the little reorder icon doesn’t appear when I press edit. So... I am doing a full backup of all the decks and will try to uninstall and reinstall the app, then restore to see if that fixes it.
Thanks for the quick response,
Jeff

Update: When I deleted and reinstalled the app, the reorder icon appeared for the sample decks, but disappeared after I did the full restore from the backup. So I deleted and reinstalled the app again, only this time added individual decks one at a time (I usually export individual decks rather than use the app’s global backup/restore) and the reorder icon has not disappeared.
So I am back in business and just posting this as an FYI for you.
Happy Winter Solstice!
Jeff
stullj

Postby Ernie » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:51 am

Thanks for the information. I don't have an explanation for this behavior. Strange. Good to know about.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback