Direct editing on Mac/Dropbox

Direct editing on Mac/Dropbox

Postby cburkins » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Big fan of Flashcards Deluxe. Currently shifting over my life from Windows 10 to MacOS X. I'm used to exporting my Flashcard decks to the Dropbox destination, and then editing them on a Windows 10 machine. Now trying to edit same files on MacOS, and it's complaining because they're in a binary format, and no Apps can read the desk txt files. Tried command line (e.g. vi, BBEdit, VS Code, etc).

Not a genius which character encoding, but wondering if the TXT files are encoded with a character set that the macOS is unfamiliar with ?

-Chad
cburkins

Re: Direct editing on Mac/Dropbox

Postby cburkins » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:37 pm

Sure enough, hopped over to my Windows 10 machine, can easily edit the files. Notepad++ seems to think encoding is UTF-8. Is that problematic for macOS X to open ?
cburkins

Re: Direct editing on Mac/Dropbox

Postby Ernie » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi Chad,

Text files files should be in UTF8 format.
"binary format"? Are you sure you are opening up a .txt file?
I would use VS Code on Mac to edit. Doesn't make sense that it can't open.

The app can also export in Excel's xlsx format. If you have Excel on your Mac, this is the way to go in my opinion. Just don't try to open xlsx using a text editor.

If you have a text file that you can't read/edit on Mac (doesn't make much sense to me though), feel free to email me the file and I can take a look.

Ernie
et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback