Photos not included when Syncing desk from shared library

Photos not included when Syncing desk from shared library

Postby boas » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:21 am

Is there a way to sync desks from the shared library including their photos on android? Because when I sync it with the app server or dropbox the photos do not appear on the other android device, only the text and the learning statistic do.
(I am loged in with the same Account in the library. But the only way I found to get the photos on the other device was to download the desk again from the Shared Library. But then it creates a separate desk with the same name but which is then not synchronized with the first device.)
boas

Re: Photos not included when Syncing desk from shared librar

Postby Ernie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi. Sorry for the slow response!

You mention that photos are not syncing with app server or dropbox. I wonder if you are using the "Sync" feature in Global Options, or if you are instead exporting and importing. I tried a test now with the normal exporting/importing and pictures transferred for me. Steps:

Start with deck on device A
Export to App Server (tap Edit, tap deck to export, export/share, app server. Make sure you turn on option to export media files)
Add as a new "private deck" on device B
Update deck on device B (add a new card with a picture)
Export from device B, including media
On device A, tap Edit, tap deck. Notice the deck code. This is the cloud location. Tap Download/Update. At this point, the deck was updated with new pictures added from device B

When you transfer with "Shared Library", the process is exactly the same as above (with App Server). You can also use this same process to transfer using Dropbox, One Drive, or Google Drive. Export to Shared Library. This will always export media files. On your other device, add as a new deck. This will create a "link" with the Shared Library deck by assigning the correct "deck code" (viewable in the deck edit menu). A deck code starting with "L" is a "shared Library" deck. One important difference when using Shared Library to transfer is that statistics are NOT transferred using Shared Library. You'll want to use another option.

Transferring using the above process is what I call "exporting" and either then "adding as a new deck" or "updating an existing deck". These are manually steps.

The "sync" feature in Global Options works differently that the above. Using the "App server" version of the *Sync* is a fully automatic sync between devices (for decks you choose to sync).
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby boas » Mon May 04, 2020 3:08 am

I am really sorry for the effort you had for your answer and that my reply is almost a month later. How you understood it is not exactly how I meant it. I should have explained this more clearly.

The fotos which I made by my own they are synchronized, there it is not a problem. It is just with photos from a desk out of a shared Library from the group "Systematische Botanik ETHZ" (which has a password). I assume that photo right issues, may be the reason why the synchronization of this pictures does not work. Because when I add own pictures to the exactly same desk they get synchronized, but the one's which I did not add by my own are not synchronized.

Would it be possible for you to adjust photo rights for synchronization (if this is really the cause for that) ?
I mean as long as the photos can't be easily exported out of the app and can't be used for completely new own desks (which then can be shared again), the author of the photos shouldn't have a problem with it.
boas

Postby Ernie » Mon May 04, 2020 4:09 am

Can you tell me the exact deck name?
If you are not getting pictures, it's possible that they were "lost" somehow (don't exist on my servers), but I can look into if you tell me deck name.
There should be no problem of "protected" pictures.

If you want, email me at et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback