Progress Percentage

Progress Percentage

Postby KurtVD » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:32 am

I was just wondering: How does the app determine the percentages you see on the progress section? What are they based on? Averages?
KurtVD

Re: Progress Percentage

Postby Ernie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 pm

In the spaced repetition settings, there is a "target interval". The default is 30 days.

If all cards have an interval of 15 days, the progress is 50%
If half cards have interval of 30 or over, and half have interval of 0, progress is also 50%.

If that doesn't answer your question, let me know.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby KurtVD » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 pm

I understand, thank you very much. Is the 30 day interval based on the research done by Leithner? Or is that the number you found to be ideal for your Chinese studies?
KurtVD

Postby Ernie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:52 am

The 30 days (which can be changes in settings) does not affect scheduling at all. It's only used for the bar chart.

It is not based on any research; mostly instead from my own observations while studying. If you use default settings, and answer correctly every time, it will take about 3 months (and 8 correct answers) for the interval to reach about 30 days. At this point, the vocab item should be learned pretty well. Using a target over 30 days causes progress to move too slowly. Some people want to see quicker progress, so they may reduce this. Again, I don't think it's important from an efficiency standpoint, it's just what I thought was a decent balance for what "learned" might mean.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby KurtVD » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.!!
KurtVD

Postby KurtVD » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:22 pm

Now that the percentage has progressed some more, I do have another question:
Because I hadn't seen the 'Spelling' feature at first, I had to rework through all of my active cards (not that many, only about 300) to make sure that I also knew how to spell them, once I had 'Spelling' activated. This means that all (or almost all, maybe I have missed a few) of the cards in this particular deck have been reviewed in the last 5-6 days, and a few were reset from 'Active' to 'New', yet the percentage kept going higher during that time (it is now at 32, it was at 25 about a week ago). Does this mean that in the progress calculation, 'manual' reviews are not taken into account, and only the days since the last 'Due Date' are counted?
KurtVD

Postby Ernie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:04 am

I don't know what "manual" reviews mean.

Progress is calculated from each cards "interval". If you study outside of the normal "due card" mode, intervals won't change, so you shouldn't see any change in progress %.

Changing a card from active to pending will reset interval to 0, so there will be a (small) drop from this.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but maybe you studied these cards in a way that didn't change the intervals, but also continued to study your normal due cards, increasing the overall interval sum.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby fpb » Fri May 24, 2019 1:15 pm

One thing I've found is that I can never get progress over about 95%. It's because most of the cards have intervals above 30 days. Getting them right no longer rewards you, but getting them wrong knocks them back below 30 days. Maybe this is what you intended and maybe I should be satisfied with reaching 95%?
fpb

Postby Ernie » Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm

I agree that it's hard to get 100% because of the reasons you mentioned. I don't plan on making any changes to the progress calculation at this time. Yes, I'd be satisfied with 95% and would not worry about trying to get to 100. You know where you are as far as progress goes.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback