Sides and browsing

Sides and browsing

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey, so I have a few questions/suggestions. I've played around with the lite version, and I don't know if these are available in the full version (it seemed to me the only limitation was the amount of cards).

1. Browsing. I was wondering if the browse setting could be changed so you can see all the sides at once, so it's more for studying than quizzing yourself.
2. Disabling certain sides/choosing which ones to see next. I think you mentioned somewhere that you are wanting to get up to 5 sided notecards or whatnot. I was wondering if there will be added features of turning select sides off AND maybe buttons for selecting which side you want to see next?
3. Buttons. Is there a way to get buttons for everything instead of having to memorize the swiping commands? I didn't see a button for "I know really well" when you turn on the "Love to Tap" option. Also, the swiping for correct/incorrect is easily confused with scrolling, I would like to be able to just scroll because sometimes my cards have a lot of info on them... Maybe have the settings so that you can define what does each action, instead of the other way around because it could get confusing (i.e. Scrolling <user defined action>; correct <user defined action>; I know really well <user defined action>; with user defined actions being swiping up, down, left, right, or having another button appear at the bottom of the screen or something). I think it'll be easier seeing all of the things that need to be defined first and then choosing the action.
4. Settings. There are so many different settings screens. There is the "i" in the main page, "i" when you see the decks, and various things down on the bottom of the card list. Some of them can be consolidated because it is a bit confusing to remember which options are where. I think redundancy isn't a bad thing in this case, do have all of the settings accessible from all of the menus. Update the online manual so it explains what each thing means on all of the settings screens would be very helpful.

Anyway, those were my thoughts. Great job with this app though, it is by far the best flash card app I've seen.

Re: Sides and browsing

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Ahhh, I forgot to add... Is it possible to get google doc integration for spreadsheets?

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:43 am

Hi.

1. There is a feature called "Card Layout" where you can remap the sides, and put all sides on the first, for example. You can try it on the lite version... study options : card layout. Edit one of the layouts.

2. Sounds again like Card Layout functionality. You can set up different layouts ahead of time, then use them. All cards in the deck will follow the same layout, but you have complete control over what "sides" are shown on side 1,2, etc.

3. There is not a button for "know really well". I need to add this, but it doesn't exist yet. I'm not sure what you are saying here. You can remap any gesture to just about any command in the Tap/Swipe settings.

4. I hear you. I have two settings. The differentiation is that Study Settings affect the current deck, while Main Options settings are global... generally. I'll probably try to re-organize at some point.

5. Google docs... I'll start work on that in a few weeks.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Yuanci » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 am

I actually decided to buy the full version just a few hours ago...

1. Coolz, I didn't know there was such a thing (I probably ignored it because I didn't know what it did). It would be more convenient (for me) if the "B" button just does that, but that works just as well. Maybe layout setting options for browse mode?

2. Yeah, again, it would be more convenient if there is an option similar to the "Cards to Study: Select Categories to Study" setting but for sides to study. Since you are planning on having up to 5 sides, having different layouts for all the permutations (i.e. study only sides 1 and 2; study only sides 1 and 3; etc) would be a bit hard to manage... especially since there are not enough custom layout slots.

3. Yeah.. that was a huge confusing run-on sentence I wrote there. What I'm trying to say that it's easier to see the command options (i.e. correct, wrong, next card, etc) and choose the actions (i.e. swipe up, swipe down, swipe left, etc) instead of the other way around.
- I don't think I can just scroll in the study mode without going into the scroll mode. I would like to be able to swipe up and down to scroll, not to indicate if it is correct or wrong.
- When I have too much text, sometimes it doesn't allow me to go into scroll mode because there isn't enough text to warrant that. So what I see is the last line of text cut off at the bottom, like the bottom bar is overlayed over the bottom line and I see the tops of the letters.

4. After playing around a bit more (now that I have more cards to play around with), it seems less confusing. I guess it's something I need to get used to, and sometimes I find myself searching around for a setting I know that's there but not finding it (a hazard of having so many things to customize, but it's worth it). Maybe having all settings in one list would help.

5. Awesome, that will make it soooo much easier to sync and edit!
Yuanci

Postby Yuanci » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 am

3. For some reason the "easy scroll" setting magically allows me to scroll, but I can't figure out which option to choose for swiping... But I still have the problem with the last line being cut off... Is it possible to just enable scrolling for everything and not just long texts? I think that will solve the problem.
Yuanci

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 am

I know the Card Layout settings are a bit tricky, but it's powerful. I thought about a simplified version, but not sure I will.

See the help screens (?) for information on Easy Scroll. You'll need to tap top/bottom to answer in this mode

As for the text cut off at the bottom, I try to figure out what will be shown and only allow a "zoom" or scroll if I *think* the text goes off the screen. If you want, send me a single card's text (or export it) and I'll try it out on my end to see why it's happening. From thinking about it now, it seems that I don't have to try to be fancy in easy scroll mode, like you suggested, but not sure. I'll make a note of this.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Yuanci » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:47 am

I don't know if giving you my text would help because I've played around with the font settings a lot and don't really remember what I did, so even if you had the same text it'll be different lengths... I used MS paint to show you what I mean (I don't know how to take screenshots of ipods... so I used one of your screenshots and edited with paint to illustrate).

What I think is going on is the thing on top of the bottom menu (the bar that show you which card you are on, the stats, and the streak) is on top of the text. If it weren't there, the text would fit inside the given space perfectly.
Attachments
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (154.96 KiB) Viewed 25881 times
Yuanci

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:52 am

Hi Yuanci, the app should account for the bottom section you mentioned, and normally does just fine. You can export this deck to my server and tell me the deck code and I can take a look. This would help me see what's going on...

Actually, the font looks non-standard. If you are bolding, then this would account for the problem, as this will make the text longer than I think it is. Sometimes certain characters (e.g. Japanese) with certain fonts cause issues. If you changed to the non-bold standard font, my guess is it would work fine.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Yuanci » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 am

That wasn't actually the screen capture (I don't know how to do that on an ipod), it was something I made really quick on MS paint to illustrate the point. I put the font settings back to normal and exported my deck as "lylr". The problem still exists... it's the second side of the card for loop diuretics, if you view it in portrait mode the bottom line gets cut off. It's supposed to say "Kidney is 1°elimination site + metabolize to glucuronide (inactive)".

Thanks!
Yuanci

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:32 pm

To take a screen capture, while pressing down the power button at the top, press the home button at the bottom. You'll find the sceenshot in your photos app, which can then be emailed.

I looked at this card and don't have a problem on my end. It cuts off the last line, but shows a green arrow, which I can then touch-hold the text to enter zoom mode. I also turned on "easy scroll" and was able to scroll up it right away. Maybe you can take a screenshot and show me?

photo1.PNG
without easy scroll - green arrow shown at bottom
photo1.PNG (30.36 KiB) Viewed 25873 times

photo2.PNG
with easy scroll - scrolled up
photo2.PNG (32.5 KiB) Viewed 25873 times
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Yuanci » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Strange... I have it on easy scroll and it doesn't scroll up for me. It scrolled up for other cards with longer text, but not that one.
Yuanci

Postby Ernie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:00 am

If it's just a few random cards, you can probably put any extra couple of new lines (returns) at the bottom of the card text to fool the app. Not sure what is going on for you. You mentioned allows allowing scrolling up/down in easy scroll mode even if app doesn't think you need it. I'll look into this at some point.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Yuanci » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks! Yeah, I think if the scrolling is enabled in all of the cards, there shouldn't be a problem anymore... but putting a space should do for now.

I still don't know how to take a screenshot of my iPod....

Edit: Seems I need to put something else other than just a line break at the bottom, because I can't scroll even after putting another line. If I put another line then a "." or something it works.
Yuanci

Postby Ernie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 am

Screenshot, does this not work... To take a screen capture, while pressing down the power button at the top, press the home button at the bottom. You'll find the sceenshot in your photos app, which can then be emailed.

1 won't register. 2 or 3 new lines should do it. ?
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Yuanci » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 am

I just didn't know how to take screenshots... I thought there was a special program for it or something...
Now I have the screenshots!

I don't know why it doesn't work on my ipod.. maybe compatibility issue? I have a 2nd gen iPod touch. Or maybe a setting I messed up... but I did go back to change everything to default.
Attachments
photo 4.PNG
It worked after I put a "." after the line break.
photo 4.PNG (41.98 KiB) Viewed 25866 times
photo 3.PNG
As you could see, Side 3 of the same card works fine. It has more text so the scrolling mechanism registered.
photo 3.PNG (43.15 KiB) Viewed 25866 times
photo 1.PNG
This is what it looks like when in standard mode (and easy scroll mode as well, but I couldn't scroll). Also, this is what it looks like after I put a line break (couldn't scroll)... I took screenshots for all three cases but I am limited to 3 uploads, and since they all look the same, I figured one would do
photo 1.PNG (44.01 KiB) Viewed 25866 times
Yuanci

Postby Ernie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:48 am

Yeah, it's wierd that it works for me. I think the problem is caused by your bullet points. For a test, can you try using a standard bullet point for this card: •

Apple has some inconsistent sizing results between size-testing using code and the actual size displayed in the web browser. Japanese characters have problems. I think your circle has a similar problem.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Yuanci » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:44 pm

It seemed to have worked. I thought it was weird that the circle was so large, when I type it is is just as small as the bullet point. Do you know if the greek letters and math symbols will be a problem? I use it fairly consistently in my notes and would like it to be in my notecards too...
Attachments
photo.PNG
photo.PNG (44.5 KiB) Viewed 25859 times
Yuanci

Postby Ernie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Greek letters and math symbols should work fine. Just let me know if you run across this again.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback