Syncing with Dropbox erased all new information from app

Syncing with Dropbox erased all new information from app

Postby Nadja » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello all,

I'm slightly panicking right now. This morning, I intended to back up the flashcards from my iphone app with Dropbox, which I hand't done in a year. I clicked "sync" and what happened instead is that now a year's worth of progress on the app has vanished, so apparently, I imported the old information from Dropbox to my app rather than the other way around. PLEASE tell me there is some way to reverse this... T_T Also, how do I back up then?

Many thanks!

Nadja
Nadja

Re: Syncing with Dropbox erased all new information from app

Postby Ernie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:26 am

Hi Nadja,

I'm not clear what buttons you might have pressed within the app.

You said "Sync". This is at Global Options > Sync. Was sync off, and did you you just turn sync on by going to Sync > Setup > Sync > On ?
When sync on, the app will generally (by default) auto export your flashcards to Dropbox when you close the app. You can also tap "Sync Now" in the app. The app won't automatically delete anything in the app. The app will automatically export your flashcards to Dropbox, then it will ask if you want to download any updates from Dropbox into the App. Maybe you selected some old data to replace what was currently in the app?

Since the app should export first, let's check Dropbox:
/Dropbox/Apps/Flashcards Deluxe/ (Also check /Dropbox/Flashcards Deluxe/)
Look in the "Backups" folder. Do you see anything recent?
Look in the "_Sync" folder. Do you see anything recent? The .sql file is a complete database backup (minus media). It's possible now that you have a recent file, but it's a backup of the new bad data. If so, dropbox will keep older versions around. Go to Dropbox.com and look in the _Sync folder for the .sql file and you'll likely see different versions.

I would not use the "Sync" to perform manual backups and restores. Instead, at the main Decks screen, tap "Edit", then tap "Backup/Restore" at the bottom.
If you have a.sql file that you found in the _Sync folder that you want to try to restore, copy that file into the "Backups" folder, then run "Backup/Restore" > Restore.

Let me know if this helps and how it goes.
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Nadja » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Dear Ernie,

thank you so much for your reply. Sync was turned off and if I remember correctly I then turned it on, which meant I had to log on into my Dropbox account in the app. I then also pressed "sync now", several times, because I was not sure what was happening, or if anything was happening at all. In retrospect, I should've been more careful but it was early in the morning and I had a million things on my mind...

I have checked and the newest version in the backup folder is from 2015 (O_o) but indeed, the sync folder has a new version from Thursdays, so that should include the desks that have been deleted? How do I get them back into my app, though?

Thanks again!
Nadja

Postby DB3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Have you signed into Dropbox and looked in the Trash for the files that were deleted?
DB3

Postby Nadja » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Hey,

so, I checked once more. The "sync" folder has one file named _Sync iPhone.sql, but also separate files of the individual decks, among them the new ones. I'm still struggling with how I get them back on my phone. If I click "sync now", nothing happens. At the bottom of the Sync tab, it says "Dropbox is required for syncing" but I remember distincly having logged into Dropbox on Thursday. Sorry if I'm being dim.

Thanks in advance!
Nadja

Postby Ernie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:16 am

Nadja,

In the _Sync folder you see a .sql file and separate text files.

We are not going to use Sync, but instead copy files to a different folder in Dropbox.

You can't see what's inside the .sql file but you can restore to test it out. Keep in mind that restoring will delete all info that exists in the app. To restore, copy the .sql file into the "/Flashcards Deluxe/Backups/" folder. Then in the app, tap "Edit" at main Decks screen, then "Backup/Restore" at bottom. Use the restore option and you should see your .sql file. As I mentioned before, Dropbox will keep older versions, so if that version is after the information was deleted, you can go to Dropbox.com, find the .sql file, right-click and choose to restore an older version.

If you can find the good info in the .txt files, then you can instead load those. To install, copy one or more .txt files into the "/Flashcards Deluxe/" folder, then to add the deck, in the app top + (add deck) at top right of Decks screen, then Dropbox....
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Nadja » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:24 am

Dear Ernie,

thank you very much for the easy-to-follow reply. Unfortunately, I encountered a new problem. When I clicked on the "restore" option in the app, I was confronted with an error message "Dropbox error - no backups found", which is weird, because the folder now not only has the sync file, but also an older backup. I tried it on two computers and also logged off and again into Dropbox but nothing would fix that problem.

Thanks in advance!

Nadja
Nadja

Postby Ernie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 am

When restoring, it will look for a .sql file. Do your files in the "Backup" folders have a .sql extension?

There are also two ways to log into Dropbox. The first login option will use an "Apps" sub-directory, while a 2nd will not.
1) /Dropbox/Apps/Flashcards Deluxe/
2) /Dropbox/Flashcards Deluxe/

See if you have both of these and happen to be using the wrong one. Generally people use have used the 1st login option in the app and will be using the "Apps" subfolder.

Finally, try a backup using the "backup/restore" option. You should then be able to see what was added to Dropbox (and where) and you'll also be able to import that back into the app as an option (which you wouldn't actually do).

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Nadja » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Dear Ernie,

it worked! Turns out, I was indeed only logged into the "app" folder. Oh dear, I am very, very happy, thanks a lot for your help! I've been using the app for years now and always found it very helpful, so thank you again for helping me to restore my work, it really means a lot!

Have a nice weekend!

Nadja
Nadja

Postby RandyBonnette » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 am

Hi Ernie,

I don't see the "backup/restore" option... My last Windows 10 update created a mess (I connected my iPhone to my Windows 10 PC last week).

Thanks,
Randy
RandyBonnette

Postby Ernie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Hi Randy,

You posted here to this "Dropbox sync" thread, but I'm not sure how your question directly relates.

In any case, at the main "Decks" screen, you should see a + and "Edit" at top-right. Tap "Edit". You should then see red circles along the left, and "Backup/Restore" at bottom-right.

If you don't see it, I'm not sure why. First, I'd restart your device to see if that helps. If that doesn't help, let me know.

Backup/Restore is useful for backing up your flashcard data (to Dropbox or OneDrive) and/or transferring to another device.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback