Download Error - sound file problem

Download Error - sound file problem

Postby martyp » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 pm

I am getting the following error message

"Download Error
Sound files must have one of the following extensions: mp3, arc, ac3, mp4, m4a, air, tiff, can, wav, File:_0342_1Sm4a"

This is an intermittent error. It doesn't happen normally. I create my deck on my iPad and add audio files to my cards. I then export my deck to the app server. I then try to download the deck to my iPhone from the app server. This download generates the above error message.

Usually this process works well but sometimes I get this error and cannot download to my iPhone. I don't want to have recreate the deck from scratch. How to I fix this?
martyp

Re: Download Error - sound file problem

Postby Ernie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:36 am

Hi. I'm sorry for the slow response.

This makes me concerned. I don't know why the app would drop the period. I did a test and my text looks like:
Text 1 | Sound 1
question |_6143_1s.m4a

Export your flashcard text and look at it. You can export by email or if you export to my website (App Server), you can go to my Export web page to grab it.
http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/Export.aspx
Look for that media file. Is it listed in the text without a period? Let me know.

One solution would seem to be to find which card the error is on, go to that card in the app, and delete the sound. Unfortunately this means having to re-record the sound. I wonder if that would then "fix" the file name.

But I've never heard of this before and don't know it's not naming the sound file correctly, if that's what's happening.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Internal Server Error

Postby Study girl » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Hello,

When I try to download flashcard decks from google drive, some decks wont and I get the alert 'internal server error.'

Some flashcard decks seem to upload at different times, like none worked a few days ago, and now I can get some to work.

Please help!!
Study girl

Postby Ernie » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Study Girl,

I'm not sure why you are getting that. I just tried on both iOS and Android and didn't have a problem. You might try creating a new Google Sheet to see if a new sheet works, and copy-paste your existing data to a new sheet. If you still have problem, let me know. You can also email me if you want.

Ernie
et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Site Admin

Internal Server Error

Postby Study girl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:16 pm

Hey Ernie,

Thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded the xlsx files (>200 of them!) and re-uploaded them while converting to Google Sheets. They seem to be working fine now! :)

Another friend had the same issue but fixed it by switching to iCloud sync on her phone. I couldn't do this because I dont think iCloud sync is an option on the iPad version of the app?

Thanks again!
Study girl

Postby Ernie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:16 am

Sounds good.

I don't have what I would call an iCloud *sync*, but on all iOS versions, you can import from iCloud. Tap + (add deck) and the bottom option is iCloud Drive / Files.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 pm

Ernie wrote:I don't have what I would call an iCloud *sync*, but on all iOS versions, you can import from iCloud. Tap + (add deck) and the bottom option is iCloud Drive / Files.

I actually came here to ask about why this didn't exist. Why would I think it doesn't exist? Because there's no mention of it on the website (choices are Google Drive, Dropbox, and USB/iTunes (which hasn't been a method recommended by Apple for three or four years)), there's no mention of it in the Introduction deck (which actually only mentions using OrangeOrApple "to help tranfer your cards to your device.").

So, first, thanks very much for providing iCloud Drive access, and second, perhaps it would be helpful to update your documentation so your users know it exists. :)

Thanks again!

Postby Ernie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:31 am

Hi,

I don't advertise iCloud on purpose. You can't export to iCloud, so it's only partially supported, unlike the others. I don't remember if media files are supported with iCloud. Apple made me add a some basic support, so I did, but I don't consider it a "normal" feature of the app. Between the existing methods (which work on both iOS and Android), I didn't feel the need or desire to spend time adding this iOS only feature.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback