Does FCD support TTS sound different with card text?

Does FCD support TTS sound different with card text?

Postby jueljust » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:24 am

i wannt make one card

the font side is
Code: Select all
steer

and read
steer
by Siri TTS

the back side is
steer[stiə]v. 为…操舵;引导;驾驶
【记】联想记忆:steel(钢铁)的l变为r→铁船→掌舵,操纵
【考】steer clear of 绕开,避开
【例】You may want to steer clear of the word "dumped".你可能会避开“dumped”这个词。//Daniel steered them into the nearest seats. 丹尼尔将他们引到最近的座位上。

and read
You may want to steer clear of the word "dumped".
Daniel steered them into the nearest seats.
by Siri TTS.

can i specific back side TTS text?
if it could be, how to config it?
jueljust

Re: Does FCD support TTS sound different with card text?

Postby Ernie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:26 am

Hi. Go to Deck Options > Text to Speech (TTS) > tap gear icon at top-right > Alternative TTS Text.
Set to this either "[ ]" or "{ }"

When you want TTS to ignore most of the card and say something else, put the text to say in [ ].

You also have the option there to ignore text in ( ).
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby NightFlyer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:35 pm

I have a slightly different issue. I want to make a card that uses TTS to say a word, but that word isn't visible to the user.

For example, I want to make cards where I listen to a word and try to remember how to spell it. The front side of the card would have words like "How do you spell this word?" on the front, and a play button which would play TTS from a field (say Text 2), but that word wouldn't be visible at all (it defeats the purpose if I can see the word, as I'm trying to remember how to spell it). I would play the sound, think of how I would spell the answer, and the flip to the other side.

The other side would display the answer and would also have a play button (so that I can better connect the sounds with the spelling).

I know that I can do this by downloading sounds, but I'd rather use TTS and not have to generate/find the correct pronunciations or take up the space that all those would require.
NightFlyer

Postby Ernie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi NightFlyer,

You have a couple options.

1) You can put "alternative TTS text" in brackets. For example:
Text 1: How do you spell this word? [train]
(Sound 1: TTS sound for "train" after TTS download)
Text 2: Train

Go to Deck Options > Text to Speech (TTS) > tap gear icon at top-right > Alternative TTS Text > [ ]
Download TTS sounds. (If you already downloaded, find the setting option "re-download sounds" before downloading again)

2) If you sound always matches Text 2 (the answer), just download TTS sounds from that side. For example
Text 1: How do you spell this word?
Text 2: Train
(Sound 2: TTS sound for "train" after TTS download)

The problem now is that you want to play Sound 2 with the question. You can do this with Deck Options > Card Layout. Go there, tap "Custom 1" to select. To edit, tap "Edit" Custom 1. See the help button here. I recommend you read the help here. Tap "Side 1->2". Tap "Side 1". Change Sound from Sound 1 to Sound 2. If you want to remove the sound from the answer side (maybe you want the sound on BOTH sides, so maybe not needed), go back and tap "Side 2" and change "Sound 2" to "None"

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby LaurMor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 am

Am I missing something?? I cannot for the life of me, find TTS. I don’t see it under “Deck options”.
LaurMor

Postby Ernie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:58 am

Hi LaurMor,

Deck Options > Sound > Text to Speech (TTS)
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback