Spaced Repetition in order setting

Spaced Repetition in order setting

Postby D0_do » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Hello Ernie,

I am using spaced repetition mode with Cards Become New setting changed to In Order.

The way I understand it should work is that when I am revising my flashcards it will be in the order they were added. However, they have been appearing in random order.

Is there any way to make them appear in the order they were added ?
I would like them to be in order as while revising my flashcards I keep my textbook opened on the side and if I get a card wrong I try to read the topic in detail from the textbook there and then. Currently, as they are appearing randomly I have to keep jumping back and forth in my textbook.

How do I use the app:

1. While reading a chapter from the textbook, I keep making text + picture flashcards simultaneously.
2. I then import these flashcards from the dropbox into the app. The flashcards orders correspond to increasing page numbers in my textbook.
3. Revise topics through the flashcards.
4. if i get a flashcard wrong, I revise the topic from the book's page.
D0_do

Re: Spaced Repetition in order setting

Postby Ernie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi,

In spaced repetition, 10 "new" cards are picked and tested until you get a card correct 3 times, at which point it becomes "active" and is scheduled at timed intervals. In the new-card mode, cards can be shown in the original order, but a couple things can affect this:
1) If you originally had the "cards become new" set to "random", the app will have already chosen some random "new" cards for the 10-card new set. In this case, you can reset all the statistics in order to start over. To reset statistics, at main decks screen tap Edit, tap deck, Clear Statistics. (I should make a coding change so this situation can be avoided easier.) Since you asked a couple days ago (sorry for the slow response), you may have progressed past the first 10 cards and hopefully cards are now in order.
2) If you've already answered a card correct 3 times, it's no longer in the new set and will be tested randomly as an active card

"How do I use the app"
I'm sorry I don't understand the question. Maintaining your Excel sheet sounds like a good approach, then running "download/update" from the deck edit screen to update the app's flashcards. If you make changes in the app (and in Dropbox), you'll need to either make the same change twice or export your changes to Dropbox before making further updates there.

You might consider adding a "Category 1" column to your Dropbox text. Let this be the chapter number. You can then filter the cards by chapter, which may or may not be useful in your case. Use Deck Options > Cards to Study to filter. Text file would look like:

Text 1 | Text 2 |Category 1
book | libro | Chapter 1
| = new column

You can flag cards in the app for later filtering. To flag a card, tap bottom-middle button then "Flag". You can also 1-tap flag by showing flag button at Global Options > Control > Study Buttons.

I think the "cards become new" = "in order" setting should work well in your case, but let me know if still doesn't (after clearing statistics if needed) or if you need more procedural guidance.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby D0_do » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Thank you, Ernie, for taking some time out to reply. :)

I got your point. I though in spaced repetition, whenever I am revising the cards there must be some way that they always come in increasing order according to textbook page numbers (that's the order they have been added in) so I will not be jumping back and forth in my textbook to look at the topics.

"How do I use the app"

Here, I was just trying to state how do I use awesome flashcards deluxe app :) .

Thank you for advising about category column. It will come in handy to do chapter wise filtering sometime later.
D0_do

Postby Ernie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Did you know you can view your cards in original order in the card listing screen? Where is says "Cards" at the top, tap "List" at bottom then tap Order By "Card Order". Cards are now shown in order. You also filter by category here (affecting just the card listing). If you want to see the cards as flashcards, you can long-press a card. In this way, you can browse through your flashcards in order. These might be useful when you need to "revise" your cards, or browse through them outside of standard study mode. I'm not sure if this might help with what you are looking for.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:14 am

Hi Ernie,

I had to reset the statistics on my flashcards deck.

Did you know you can view your cards in original order in the card listing screen? Where is says "Cards" at the top, tap "List" at bottom then tap Order By "Card Order". Cards are now shown in order. You also filter by category here (affecting just the card listing). If you want to see the cards as flashcards, you can long-press a card. In this way, you can browse through your flashcards in order. These might be useful when you need to "revise" your cards, or browse through them outside of standard study mode. I'm not sure if this might help with what you are looking for.

I tried this. I have a question about it. Is it the same as browse mode or following this I retain the benefits of spaced repetition mode as well ? I love the feature that it tells my which cards are due.

What I am specifically looking for is: Lets say I check the app after a few days and there are about 15 cards due out of 60 cards. I was hoping these 15 due cards will show up in order of increasing page index of my book. Something like when I am going to revise the due cards, these 15 due cards automatically sorts themselves in the order in which they were originally added.

I hope I am able to make it clear. Let me know if I am still not clear enough :(

Postby D0_do » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 am

Hi Ernie,

I had to reset the statistics on my previous deck.

I tried these settings. I can see the cards in order. But I have question about it?
So, is this same as browse mode? or does it offer the benefits of spaced repetition mode as well ? I love SRS

What I am specifically looking for is lets say I have 60 flashcards in a deck and now 15 cards are showing as due. When I open these 15 cards for revision then these 15 cards should sort themselves to come up in the order they were added (the order corresponds to book page numbers). So, if I have cards from pagenumbers 2, 10, 15, 18, 4, 9, 32 due then when I go for due cards they should show up in the increasing order as 2, 4, 9, 10, 15, 18, 32. It is about sorting the due cards at the time of revision ?

Is this possible in the current app ? If not, will you please consider this feature to add to the future release of the app.

I hope I am able to make myself clear. If it is still not clear please let me know.
D0_do

Postby Ernie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:12 am

The settings I mentioned in the card listing screen, and the long-press to view as flashcards (which are in a browse mode), do not affect the Spaced Repetition settings/process in any way. The card listing and study screens are separate.

Once a card becomes "active" and started getting scheduled at timed intervals (becoming due), there is no ordered mode anymore. Being that say 10 cards out of 100 might be due, ordering them by card order seems pretty meaningless for most people, and also may hurt learning if they know certain cards generally appear first. But I understand you have a different need. You want to following along with your book.

I don't think I want to add such an option to show due cards in order at this time. I'm sorry. I don't think such a feature would be used much. I will at least consider it though for down the road a bit.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby D0_do » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't think I want to add such an option to show due cards in order at this time. I'm sorry. I don't think such a feature would be used much. I will at least consider it though for down the road a bit.

I understand that FCD is a single person effort. But it will be of great help to me if you can add such an option to FCD as soon as possible. I believe this feature will be used a lot by students who like to refer their textbook to read an answer in details and just keep keywords on their flashcards answer side.

I hope you will consider it :idea:
D0_do

Postby Harry » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:18 am

Hey Ernie!

I really love this app; but it lacks only one thing to be perfect; its a spaced repetition that is influenced by two factors: 1) time schedule and 2) the individual order in the card list: I think that it would make this app even more superior to all the other similar software because it would help all those who are trying to memorize more complex information than just vocabulary. I use this app for my studies at university. So when I try to learn efficiently its not only about repeating the content but also about repeating it in a certain order (from general information to details).

I really think that this is not a problem that only concerns me individually. I searched for this matter and found an entry that exactly matches with my concern; I quoted it in this post.

However, if you still think that this would be an unneccessary feature for the majority of users and therefore dismiss this idea; I have another suggestion that would help me and all those who like the idea of spaced repition but are also intereseted in a ordered learning. My suggestion would be the following: How about adding the possibility to create folders (not only staples) within the folders in order to be able to create a more complex structure?

Thank you very much for creating this app and being so ambitious in improving it!

Harry

D0_do wrote:Hello Ernie,

I am using spaced repetition mode with Cards Become New setting changed to In Order.

The way I understand it should work is that when I am revising my flashcards it will be in the order they were added. However, they have been appearing in random order.

Is there any way to make them appear in the order they were added ?
I would like them to be in order as while revising my flashcards I keep my textbook opened on the side and if I get a card wrong I try to read the topic in detail from the textbook there and then. Currently, as they are appearing randomly I have to keep jumping back and forth in my textbook.

How do I use the app:

1. While reading a chapter from the textbook, I keep making text + picture flashcards simultaneously.
2. I then import these flashcards from the dropbox into the app. The flashcards orders correspond to increasing page numbers in my textbook.
3. Revise topics through the flashcards.
4. if i get a flashcard wrong, I revise the topic from the book's page.
Harry

Postby Ernie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 am

Harry and D0_do

Let me ask you a question...

Current there is a setting "due cards priority". This kicks in if there are a large number of due cards (e.g. more than 20) and the app needs to decide which due cards to show first. The default is "low interval", which will give priority to cards you generally don't know as well. Once the set of 20 cards are determined, they are randomized.

Now for what you are looking for. Say you have 40 due cards and only 20 will be shown (in current study set). Would you want this "due cards priority" setting ignored? For example, the next 20 cards shown would be determined by card order, AND the cards would not be randomized before showing. In this case, a new option for "due cards priority" could be "Card Order", which would do both of these two things. I think this makes sense.

If a user wanted to keep a "low interval" priority so the lesser know cards are given priority for the current study batch (if large number of due cards), but then in the group of 20 cards, they are shown in order, I'd need a separate setting. But I don't think this is ideal or needed.

Ernie

P.S. Folder in folders are likely not happening.
Ernie
Site Admin

SRS and Quiz Mode Merge

Postby Paula » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:12 am

Hi Ernie,

I have a large set of cards that I would like to study in SRS mode for long term retention. As I undestand cards are introduced in sets of 10. This means that I will be exposed to the material very slowly and I do have tests coming up. So ideally I want to study the whole deck and have the results feed the SRS. How can I best study more than the 10 current cards? I have been using the quiz mode and it works great. However, I noticed that the stats for the deck did not change even after I have studied the whole deck in quiz mode. Is there a way I can merge the results from the quiz mode into SRS?

Thank you for being always so helpful and for the awesome app you have developed.
Paula

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:45 am

Hi Paula,

It's true that I don't update statistics for a card from Quiz mode. I don't quite remember my rationale for this behavior, but that's the way it is now. Quiz is not intended to be a normal study mode.

SRS systems are generally designed to slowly introduce cards. This can be a problem if you have a quiz coming up.

One option is to switch to "short term goal" mode. This will go through all card right away, and then start delaying cards you get correct. The delay is not time based, but rather based on number of times you go through your deck. Downside is that after your exam, if you switch to SRS, you will start from scratch, as the two modes have completely different items for progress (streak vs interval).

Starting with SRS should be fine. You just have to make sure you are going to get through (see) all your cards (well) before your exam. If your exam is in 30 days, then shoot for getting through all new cards in say 20 days. (That gives you 10 days to repeat the very new cards you were just introduced.) If your deck is 600 cards, then you need to get through 30 new cards a day. The app will show you this information as you study.
Settings:
Max New cards of "10" is not that important. I like to increase this so that my short term memory doesn't kick in so easily. It won't affect your concern though, I think.
New to Active after - change this to either 1 correct or 2 correct. If "1 correct", you swipe down if you want to see it again quickly (don't know at all), or swipe left if you want to see it again in 1 day or swipe up if you want to see it again in 3 days (default settings). This is what I would do.
First interval after correct: the 20 hours is pretty conservative. For less chance of getting bombarded with "due cards" that you know, you might increase this a bit (e.g. 30 hours), but you risk forgetting more cards because of longer time between retests.
Min Interval, I like increasing this to 20 hours. Need to keep intervals up so no so many retests. You need to get through all your cards
Wrong interval factor: you might increase this to 0.7 so wrong answers not so detrimental.

Keep in mind that in my example above, it will be relatively easy to get through 30 new cards per day at the beginning, but after a while, in addition to your new cards, you'll be getting lots of "due" cards (repeats that are due to studied/refreshed again), and your time will then be split between these two modes. Depending on number of cards and timeframe, you'll need to think about this, and about how having cards repeated more often will help in long-term retention of those cards, but likely at the detriment of getting through all your new cards in time for your exam.

I strongly recommend reading details on my SRS system:
http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/AboutSR.aspx

Let me know if you need more guidance.
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback