Smart Deck based on Category

Smart Deck based on Category

Postby matt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Hello! First - thank you for creating and maintaining such a fantastic app. Second, I think it could be useful to be able to dynamically make "smart" decks as subsets or combinations of existing decks based off of category. For example, if I have cards across three decks labeled "verb" as Category 1 and want to create a smart "verb" deck, it would look for all cards across the selected decks with that category and let me study just those cards. The original cards could stay in their respective decks, but the stats on the individual cards would update as you studied them in the customized, tailored "smart" deck. Just an idea! Thanks!!
matt

Re: Smart Deck based on Category

Postby Ernie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks.

I think this feature already exists using a "Combination Deck". To create, tap +, Combination Deck. Assign your "3" decks to it. When you study, it will include all cards from the 3 decks. To filter on "verbs", go to "cards to study" (as you would in a standard deck) and filter on "verbs" for the first deck. While you'll see different sections for each of the 3 decks, the app should automatically check "verbs" in all decks that have it. You can double-tap a category to select/clear all.

To later edit a combination deck, tap "Edit" at main screen then tap combo deck.
Card stats are assigned to the card, so studying in the combo deck will also affect the base deck if studying Leitner/Short term goal. No actual cards exist in a combo deck... it's just a pointer to other base decks.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby jdenormandie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:16 am

Hi there,

For some reason I am having trouble filtering by category as described here. I created a combo deck and have categories assigned to certain cards within 3 different decks (irregular verbs). For some reason the "Category 1" option is greyed out under the filters when I have all 3 decks checked. If I only have one of the decks checked (any one of the decks), I can select a category to filter by. Any idea what might be going wrong?

Best,
Justin
jdenormandie

Postby Ernie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi Justin,

The "Filter" button in the card listing screen only affects this card listing, not the cards you study in the study screen.

Return to study screen, tap gear icon at top-right to get to Deck Options
Tap "Cards to Study". Here is where you filter on cards when studying
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback