Creating a text file for off site downloading.

Creating a text file for off site downloading.

Postby MarkHH » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Ernie,

I'm using your instructions for web sharing my deck off my own computer. I've saved it in UTF-8 format and a *.txt file extension. The issue I'm running into is trying to get a multiple line cell to show up correctly. That might sound confusing. Basically, when I built the card deck in Excel, I used the "ALT ENTER" trick to put multiple lines of text in one cell. When I import the file using your website, it adds double-quotes that surround the multi-line text. (I'm guessing this ensures that all the text contained in the double-quotes is contained on one side of the flashcard). However, when I try to use this same formatting in the .txt file that I've created on my own computer, it doesn't work. Is there a different character that should be used instead of double-quotes, or am I just not able to make multi-line cards if I want to use my own computer for uploading?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Mark
MarkHH

Re: Creating a text file for off site downloading.

Postby Ernie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:47 am

Hi Mark,

My website upload process has special logic to deal with these quotes. The app's download process does not. You need to convert these in-cell line feeds to a | (shift \, which is a special code to create a new line in the app).

To do this, you can add a formula to Excel, and use this new column to copy-paste into your text file:
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"|")

(For example, have your raw text in columns A/B, and put the above formula in D/E and copy-paste D/E into your text file.

There should not be any quotes added to your text file, as all in-cell line feeds should be removed before pasting to the text file.

Let me know if you still have problems with this.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Creating a text file for off site downloading.

Postby MarkHH » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:01 am

Ernie,

I actually just came across the vertical bar and found that it works. But, the excel code you gave me works wonders and will save me TONS of time. I appreciate the help!!!

Mark
MarkHH

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback