Text file format

Text file format

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:06 am

On the page where you document text file format, you say it's

Side 1 text, side 2 text, side 3 text, category 1, category 2, statistics

I found elsewhere on your site what category 1 is used for -- what is category 2 -- is it just that a card can be assigned to multiple categories?

Also, what's the format of the statistics, and would that cause there to be more than 6 items on a single line?

Thanks.
Keith

Re: Text file format

Postby Ernie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:54 am

Keith,

Yes, category 2 can be used to assign two different categories to a single card. For example, category 1 could represent the chapter the card is from, and category 2 could represent the part of speech:

book libro Chapter 1 noun
shirt camisa Chapter 2 noun
speak hablar Chapter 2 verb

The format of the statistics are documented here:
http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/Default.aspx#statistics

I don't intend for you to create this statistic data. It will be created by the app if you export.

Each "item" on a line is separated by a tab. More than 6 items means the upload process found more than 5 tabs on a line. Double-quotes can confuse this process, so if you use only 1 double-quote in a side's text, you might run into a problem. Also, categories can only be up to 100 characters in length, so if you go over, you also might run into this "more than 6 items" error. If you continue to have this error and the above info doesn't help, email me your text and I can help further.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Thank you for your reply - it was very helpful.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Wasn't sure if I should create a new thread..

but similar to above question, how do I add pictures using text editor? (I plan to upload pictures to a dropbox folder)- so I know that i need to get the url address...

but, relative to text editor, do i still use 'tabs'? and if so, how many tabs for it to know i'm inserting a picture?

let me know..i don't feel like experimenting and screwing things up.

thanks.

Postby Ernie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 pm

To set a media directory, at the top of your text file enter something like
* {tab} media-dir {tab} http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11111111/Chinese/

As for tabs in a text file, you then need a header row telling the app what's in each column:
Text 1 {tab} Text 2 {tab} Picture 2

In this example, you have text and a picture on side two. A flashcard would look like:
book {tab} libro {tab} book.jpg

So you just line up the items with the headings you defined (same number of tabs).

Let me know if this is not clear,
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback