flashcards for things that are not definition

flashcards for things that are not definition

Postby kimranisa » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:51 am

How can I make flashcards for things that are not definition based? I have found that flashcards are the absolute best way for me to study. However, my toughest class right now is Chemistry, and most of what we learn is math or process based material rather than direct definitions. I am having a difficult time thinking of a way to (effectively) study this information with flashcards. Any suggestions as to how to do this?
Last edited by kimranisa on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimranisa

Re: flashcards for things that are not definition

Postby Ernie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 am

Hi. I don't have a quick thought on this, and won't be able to respond for a few days. Sorry. When I get back in front of a computer, I'll see if I have any ideas.
Maybe someone else can share their thoughts.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby cacao » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:43 am

oh, I think same problems.
I study econometrics and Its flashcards is not definition.
so I take a camera shot for textbooks and my note, and insert them into flashcards.
but flashcards deluxe supports low-resolution( res 1024, 1200 )
it is problems. !!
cacao

Postby Ernie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 pm

kimranisa,

I think you'll just need to figure out what works best for you.
First, flashcards work best when you can break down the information in smaller units for testing. If this is not possible, as in a process, then I suppose list the full process and step through it... maybe covering part of the answer with your hand as you answer the steps.
There are up to 5 sides. See if adding a 3+ sides might help to reveal parts of the answer at a time.
As for formulas, it's tough to enter formulas using plain text, so taking a picture for the answer is probably a good way to go.

cacao,
As far as low images, one workaround is to use my website or Dropbox to transfer pictures/flashcards. For Android's next update, I will be adding an option for 1600x1600 max picture size. I'm not sure when I'll add support for iOS (as the UI for the option is more difficult to program the way I want it), but I'll see.
Ernie
Site Admin

HowTo: flashcards for things that are not definition

Postby FranziskanerAlkoholf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:22 am

Study a map, e.g.
- regions of the brain,
- countries in Europe,
- departments in an Organigramm
Create flashcard text questions for each question and as an answer always show a picture of the full map - you only have to upload the picture once if you do it via dropbox. E.g.
- where are the eyes? / What are the two things above the nose called?
- Which country/ies share a border with Germany?
- Who's leading the department XYZ?
From one glance at the picture of the map you'll know the right answer

Study an ordered list, e.g.
- a process
- list of chapter headers
- a poem
Create one question for the number of items and create one question for each item. The question for each item spells out the previous item and the next item and asks for the item in the middle. E.g.
- Step 1: buy milk, Step 3: drink warm milk; What is step 2? (answer: heat milk)
- "fest gemauert in der Erden ...... Heute muss die Glocke werden". Answer: "fest gemauert in der Erden, steht die Form aus Lehm gebrannt. Heute muss die Glocke werden" (Schiller)(For short poems forget about the item#, the verses#)
Do this with Excel/Numbers, then you can actually build reusable formulas to "parse" any ordered list into the correct syntax for upload.

Study a tree list, e.g.
- family tree of plants and animals
- categories and structures, e.g. data types and subtypes.
Create an ordered list from it and study it as such. E.g. A, B, B1, B2, B3, C will create e.g. these questions:
- how many first level items (3)
- whats the second first level item (B) OR In the first level we have A and C, what's in between (B)
- where do we have a second level (B)

The only problem are presented by stuff that
- you have not understood in the first place - first try to understand it, only then try to commit it to memory
- is an unordered heap of stuff - try to get it in some kind of order, if necessary build a tree from the first letters ("How many items start with A?") and then order the A-items alphabetically....

Hope that helps..... ;)
FranziskanerAlkoholf

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback