Colour

Colour

Postby babyface » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:54 am

I would just like to say what a great app this is, but I feel it could be greatly improved by the ability to change the text and background colour as this helps me to retain information. Would this be at all possible?
Thanks very much
babyface

Re: Colour

Postby Ernie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:12 am

You can change the text and background color...
At the main screen, tap the (i) in the top left, then "Card Colors" (1st item). Tap "Custom" to change. This will affect all cards.

You have some control over colors of individual cards, but this requires special coding, as documented on my website in the formatting section.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Apple-girl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:43 am

To set up the color is tricky but it is also fun!
Apple-girl

Postby radiator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:49 am

Having some way to save the color schemes to a "shared" location where people could download favorite schemes would be great. Like sharing a deck. Maybe even with some backgrounds (might be thinkin' down the road a bit but putting it out there...). Like skins...
radiator

Postby Ernie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:16 pm

I've had some people request custom backgrounds and even a fancier flashcard look, like a real flashcard with a wood background (a la Flashcard Touch style). The think the idea of some pre-make skins would be nice. Sharing? Ha, possibly.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby radiator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:51 pm

yeah... rather than importing decks, you would import skins - use the same mechanism (yeah, I'm sure that will work with no coding...! ) Good Luck!
radiator

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:34 pm

The ability to colour/underline/bold certain individual words would be a nice touch... I thought by doing this in excel, it would copy exactly the same over, but it doesn't...

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Yeah, formatting does not copy over. You have to use html codes, basically. See:
http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/Default.aspx#formattext
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 am

Yeah that's quite fiddley and when you're on a study deadline, it's not practical to spend ages typing html codes. There must be a simpler way to do it within the app on the device itself, rather than on the computer. Just a thought!

Postby Ernie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 am

I agree it can be cumbersome, but I don't really have a good way to do it. I don't know how in-app formatting would work or be easy. I can see using a PC program to do the formatting. My general advice is to just keep things simple, as spending a bunch of time to make it "pretty" is probably not worth it. I'll keep my eyes open for options though.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby hallfro » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:42 am

Is there a way to overwrite/overpower the excel text color formatting with the app text color formatting?

I ask because I recently updated one of my decks using Dropbox excel. When I updated my deck, the Text 2 and Text 3 sides (which were the columns I added) were black text on a black background, while the rest was white text on black background (which is my global theme and what I’d like all my cards to conform to). If there is a way to still have the black text in excel show up as white text on the app, that would be awesome!
hallfro

Postby Ernie » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Hi hallfro,

In Excel, set the Text color to "Automatic". This will remove any special coloring for the text, and it should show up as you'd expect both in Excel and in the app.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback