survey to all User: I use FCD for ...

Re: survey to all User: I use FCD for ...

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 pm

I use it mainly now to memorize Bible verses. I've also it learn medication/drug profiles for paramedic, anatomy & physiology, military info. Mainly for whatever I want to learn.!!
Michael

Postby sbrown » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 am

I use FCD for studying Korean. I 3 types of decks. 1) Eng-Kor: I write a short (1-3 word) definition in English on Side 1. Korean word/phrase on Side 2. 2) Kor-Kor - 3-sided, with the definition in Korean on Side 1, 3 examples in Korean on Side 2 with the target word as "______", and the Korean word on Side 3. 3) Eng-Kor imported decks from Flashcard Exchange or Quizlet (mostly based on the DLPT vocab lists). I really like FCD!! Just need a "merge" function in backup/restore as I make progress daily in both the iPad and Android apps...
sbrown

Postby arthaey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 am

I've also just started putting together a list of knots that it would be useful to know how to tie. I love how flexible this app is! :)
arthaey

Postby dokein » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 pm

I use it to study medicine (am a medical student)!!
dokein

Postby RaianStar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am

After using Khan Academy on iPad to teach math to a 6 year old, her 4 year old brother wanted to join in. As KA was too tough for him, I used your app to build a number recognition game utilising the voice record option and coloured numbers :)

It worked well enough to keep him occupied and practicing.

My GF and I use your app for Japanese language learning. We even created a 1175 strong flashcard list (Genki 1 & 2 Japanese Vocabulary) which I am using to entice my course mates into purchasing your app ;)

Top job with this one, I've been a user and a fan for the last few years now :)
RaianStar

Postby Oxford » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 am

Japanese

As well as the major advantage of having 5 possible cards, I think where FCD wins over similar programs, is that Ernie truly understands the balance between functionality and simplicity. I think he handles requests for functionality in a balanced way whereas similar systems have just tried to cram everything in. So we have a very functional, intuitive, smooth, solid program; and I am an evangelist for FCD when I talk to other Japanese Learners.

As far as Japanese Study goes, Anki, somewhat stole a march on FCD at the start of the SRS boom, so there are historically more ready made decks available to Anki than to FCD. However Anki has always been glitchy and I find FCD is a much superior program in all respects.

If FCD doesn't have as wide a user base as it deserves, for Japanese at least, I think that is not to do with the program, but with external influences such as ready-made decks, complimentary desktop programs etc.
Flashcardexchange, is the largest repository, but the Decks are often of poor quality, and there are limitations dependent on cost etc. as there are on Quizlet too.

What I think would grow the program more would be a dedicated Flashcard Repository for FCD that can handle 5 sides, without the limitations of the other systems.
Or a growth of the community by collaborative groups through shared Google Docs, with Images/Sounds hosted on Mediafire etc.

I am going off topic now - but to make amends - I will share my own 'FCD'd version of the massive Japanese Core Sentences.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzqyv5zxcsxvnna,bac3s32fqtfurrd
(3318 cards 4 Sides + Audio)
if you want the sounds too, I suggest you store them in a Dropbox http://db.tt/Br7U3LQ (it's free) as Ernie recommends .
To use the sounds download the zipped folder at the above Media fire address, then delete the Underscore so that there is a space before the word media, and put it in your dropbox folder along with the text file.
Sounds are about 185mb, so if you don't want all those sounds, you can just download the text file and delete the column that references the mp3 files.

A final note, as long as I have been using FCD, I have lurked on the forums and been impressed with how swiftly and completely Ernie responds to questions.
Oxford

Postby Bull » Wed May 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi,

I use it for Pilot Training as student and instructor alike. Fotunately most of our students have enough money for a purchase app!!

Great for:
- system and operating limitations (numbers)
- normal procedures / checklists
- abnormal procedures / emergencies
- BOLDFACES (memory action items) in conjunction with WARNING LIGHTS and AURAL WARNINGS
- general flight rules

Besides that - I enhance my general knowledge here and there and let my daughter practice english vocabs and basic math (5th grader).
Bull

Postby markkoris » Sat May 25, 2013 11:13 am

To learn the OKU 10, Flashcards; a set of flashcards made up to review Orthopedics, for my board certification, which has to be renewed each 10 years so that I can practise again. It was removed because I had a stroke in 2007 and wasnt able to take the test in time. Mark Koris M.D.
markkoris

Postby Professor.Viking » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Just learning Esperanto right now.

But I know I will diversify my usage afterwards.
Professor.Viking

Postby thibaultmol » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:33 am

I have used FCD for:
French Words:
Side 1: French word
Side 2: Dutch translation

French verbs:
Side 1: être
Side 2:
Je suis
Tu es
Il est
Nous sommes
Vous êtes
Ils sont

Chemistry:
Side 1: Ammonium
Side 2: NH4
thibaultmol

Postby FranziskanerAlkoholf » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 am

... learn Organigrams: just one picture / screenshot is worth (can be made into) a thousand words (questions) :-)
... learn languages, of course
... learn definitions
FranziskanerAlkoholf

Postby Awfki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 am

...studying for technical certifications. Quizlets has a bunch for flash cards for CCNA, etc and FCD makes it easy to create new ones with Google Drive or edit the ones from Quizlet.
Awfki

Postby nicdafis » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:55 am

...developing my Welsh vocabularly.

FCD is the app I recommend to fellow tutors and learners.
nicdafis

Postby rfwhittier » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:56 pm

I am preparing to use it for teaching to help 1st year Japanese medical students (95% + of whom already have Android or iOS smart phones) to learn English biomedical terms.

Here is what is important to me:
1) iOS/Android cross-platform
2) multiple language text input
3) ability to add voice recordings
4) ability to distribute files to >100 students.

(amended to avoid risk of hijacking thread)
rfwhittier

Postby GLAD1981 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 am

GLAD1981 wrote:I'm rehearsing for a French competitive exam, and specifically for a test named "culture générale" (~ general knowledge).
The test is a 5 hour long essay on a random subject. It can be history, philosophy, sociology, geography, literature, French and European politics and institutions, art... The only restriction is the XIX XXth century period.
With the program being so ridiculously large, I'm trying to fill the most shameful gaps in my education by creating flashcards on the most important events and people in those fields.

I got it! And on top of that I'm ranked 2nd among 500+ applicants!!

I worked quite a bit, but I doubt I would have made it without Flashcards Deluxe (here is a quote for your future testimonials section!!!). I gave me focus, showed me my progress, kept my knowledge fresh on all topics. I've never learned so much things so fast and so reliably.

So: many many (many) thanks!!! thanks Ernie for this outstanting app and for your amazing support. You're intelligent, dedicated and immensely patient, and I wish you every success because you totally deserve it!!!
GLAD1981

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 am

I just discovered FD today and I've already started using it to prepare for my doctoral dissertation!!

Postby Henning » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 am

Hi, I use it to study Japanese too! When I'm in a bus / train / etc. or just a bit bored, I try to improve myself with FCD!

And I want to thank Ernie for creating and maintaining this superb app! You are the best!!!

Best regards!
Henning

Postby FeiLi2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Studying Chinese.

The key, of course, is to have good quality flashcards in the first place. I have two Chinese dictionaries on my smartphone, both of which have flashcard study functions and one even has spaced repetition ability; however, neither is acceptable to me because they will not allow me control over the front & back of my own cards. I can add cards only out of their dictionary, using their definitions, and as you may know, most Chinese dictionaries are very uncareful about how they define the words.

So I turned to standalone flashcard programs and found Flashcards Deluxe. It's perfect! !!
FeiLi2

Postby who_is_daniel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 pm

I am using FCD to help me with preparing for my CompTIA Network Plus certification.

The Application is great.
who_is_daniel

Postby jef » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Me personally I use this app to learn Turkish vocabulary and grammar. (and this only since yesterday :-))

I will also definitely recommend this app to one of my sons who is studying law at the university. I'm sure they have a lot of things to learn by heart...

Thanks Ernie for this great app!

Jef
jef

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 pm

I've used photos to memorize car logos and famous actors (since I don't really know any of either of those!!).

I use it primarily to study Guarani, an indigenous language in Paraguay. I've used it to help in my Kichwa, K'iche', and Chinese courses. I've also used it to learn irregularities in Portuguese (augmentatives/diminutives), in addition to new English words. (Sorry to language-drop—I'm a linguistics student.)

Postby deymen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 am

I use Flashcards Deluxe for to learn 320 different animals and plants. For the birds i can just insert the sound/song/call. Otherwise i always have two images - one on the first and one on the second slide - it works perfectely!! :D
deymen

Postby onnisp » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:43 am

Hi guys!

I just switched to FCD from Brainscape as I was not allowed to use BS on Android (I recently changed smartphone...)
Now, this APP is unbelievable and I'm enjoying the 5 sides.

I'm trilingual on my way to master 4 languages therefore I use FCD for Japanese, Chinese Mandarin (Traditional and Simplified) , English and Italian.
LOVE it!

Thanks again for the great work (you might polish the marketing side though as it was not really easy to find this app on google store) and I'll definitely let you know if I have some suggestion.

great work again!

ciao!!

PAolo
onnisp

Postby Amy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:38 pm

I had been using it to get used to SMS shorthand. Now that I'm between jobs, I'm having it ask me interview questions, so that they are on the tip of my tongue when I go to an interview. I have general interview questions in one deck, and specialized, technical questions in other decks. !!
Amy

Postby jdpink » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 am

Law School
jdpink

PreviousNext

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback