.caf files

.caf files

Postby Ajooba1982 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:49 am

Hello Ernie, a while back ago I uploaded all my audio flashcards to your website and then downloaded them to my computer. Now I have all the .caf files but I do not know how to play them on the ipad. The only one way I found how to play them on the computer is with the progam called quicktime. I cannot put them into a computer's flashcard program either, because all of them require the audio format to be either .mp3 or. Wav. I tried uploading to your server using the add sound and pictures link in the upload section but it won't read the .caf files. I guess it needs to be in a .mp3 format for the webserver to read it as an audio files. I searched the web for a program that could convert the .caf files to mp3 files, but no luck unless the program had a cost to it. Any suggestions?
Ajooba1982

Re: .caf files

Postby Ernie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:25 am

My webserver should upload .caf files. I think you want to create flashcards on your iPad with these sounds back in Flashcards Deluxe, right? So you have the sound files on your PC. Do you have the text export/backup also? The text will look something like this:
<snd _s1.caf> <snd _s2.caf>
This is a two sided card with sound on the front and back. First you upload the text file (flashcard definitions) to my upload page. Then click the "Upload Pictures/Sounds". You should see a list of sounds that were defined in the text file along the left (not uploaded yet). Zip up all the caf files and upload, and they should all move to the right side (uploaded). At this point, you are ready to download from your iPad.

As for converting caf files, I'm not sure. Some people said they use the program Audacity. It's a nice free Audio editor program which I have, but I just tried it and Audiacity wan't able to read my caf file. Not sure why it works for some people but not for me. I need to look into the posiblity of saving as a different file type in my app. Anyway, you should be able to import these back into Flashcards Deluxe using my server. If you have trouble with this, let me know where you have trouble. In this case, sending me the text file you are using will probably help.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi Ernie,
I do not have any text flashcards/files in this deck. I still have the zipped file that I downloaded from your server. There are 248 audio files in there. All cards had 2 sides.

Can you please give me step by step instructions?

Postby Ernie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Can you give me the name of your zip file? If this is a "deck code" that you defined, this will make it easier if I can find your old text, so we can just use that.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback